A section of Molecules (ISSN 1420-3049).
The Medicinal Chemistry Section of the journal Molecules publishes original research and review articles that increase our understanding of how the chemical structure of bioactive molecules determines their pharmacodynamic, pharmacokinetic, and physicochemical properties, and, hence their therapeutic potential. In particular, this Section mainly invites contributions that report on:
-The design, synthesis, chemical characterization, and biological evaluation of novel compounds against biological targets of therapeutic, diagnostic, or theranostic interest, and/or the assessment of their physicochemical and pharmacokinetic properties.
-The isolation from herbal plants and separate biological characterization of individual bioactive compounds and/or their semi-synthetic derivatives.
-Hit-to-lead projects that lead to a significant optimization of potency, or physicochemical and/or pharmacokinetic properties.
-Computational, molecular biological, and/or structural biological studies that shed light on the structure and function of biological targets of therapeutic, diagnostic, or theranostic interest and on their interaction with known or novel compounds, thereby enabling the rational design of optimized ligands.
-Computational and biological studies of known drugs or their derivatives that address their interaction with novel biological targets for repositioning purposes.
-Novel synthetic, computational, or biological methodologies of relevance in medicinal chemistry.
-Development and application of materials for medicinal chemistry purposes, such as drug delivery and drug targeting.
Manuscripts that report on the biological evaluation of mixtures of compounds, such as plant extracts, or purely pharmacological studies that look deeper into the standard action of well-established drugs will normally not be considered for publication in this Section.
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Advances in Peptide and Peptidomimetic Design Inspiring Basic Science and Drug Discovery: A Themed Issue Honoring Professor Victor J. Hruby on the Occasion of His 80th Birthday (Deadline: 31 March 2019)
- Allosteric Modulator (Deadline: 31 January 2019)
- Amyloid Inhibitors and Modulators (Deadline: 1 April 2019)
- Anti-inflammatories against Neurodegenerative Diseases (Deadline: 1 November 2018)
- Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Allergy Agents in Medicinal Chemistry-II (Deadline: 28 February 2019)
- Application of Computational Methods in Drug Design (Deadline: 15 November 2018)
- Application of Novel Method in Pharmaceutical Study (Deadline: 30 November 2018)
- Applications of Magnetic Nanoparticles in Biomedicine (Deadline: 20 February 2019)
- Bioactive Compounds for Metabolic Syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes-II (Deadline: 30 January 2019)
- Bioactive Nucleosides and Nucleotides (Deadline: 31 December 2018)
- Bioactive Peptides—From Therapy to Nutrition (Deadline: 1 December 2018)
- Chalcone: A Privileged Structure in Medicinal Chemistry (Deadline: 31 December 2018)
- Chemistry and Pharmacology of Modulators of Oxidative Stress 2018 (Deadline: 28 February 2019)
- Chemistry of Macrocycles (Deadline: 15 July 2019)
- Chitosan-Based Nanomaterials for Biomedical Applications (Deadline: 28 February 2019)
- Computational Approaches for Drug Discovery (Deadline: 31 March 2019)
- COST CM1307: Targeted Chemotherapy towards Diseases Caused by Endoparasites—Proceedings in Medicinal and Natural Product Chemistry (Deadline: 31 December 2018)
- Cyclodextrin Chemistry 2018 (Deadline: 15 March 2019)
- Dendrimers as Nanocarriers for Drug Delivery (Deadline: 10 March 2019)
- Drug Resistance in Targeted Cancer Therapy (Deadline: 28 February 2019)
- Emerging Topics in (Endo)Cannabinoid Signalling (Deadline: 31 October 2018)
- Fabulous Fluorine in Organic and Medicinal Chemistry (Deadline: 15 December 2018)
- Facing Novel Challenges in Drug Discovery (Deadline: 30 October 2019)
- Fragment Based Drug Discovery (Deadline: 31 January 2019)
- G-Quadruplex Ligands and Cancer (Deadline: 15 November 2018)
- Gene Delivery (Deadline: 31 December 2018)
- Heterocycles in Medicinal Chemistry (Deadline: 31 January 2019)
- Hyaluronic Acid and its Derivatives for Biomedical Applications (Deadline: 15 March 2019)
- Kinase Inhibitors II (Deadline: 28 February 2019)
- Medicinal Chemistry in Europe (Deadline: 31 January 2019)
- Molecular Docking in Drug Design 2018 (Deadline: 31 January 2019)
- Molecular Imaging and Treatment Monitoring of Cancer (Deadline: 28 February 2019)
- Molecules against Alzheimer II (Deadline: 30 April 2019)
- Na/K-ATPase-Mediated Signal Transduction: Emerging Roles in Biology and Prospects as a Therapeutic Target (Deadline: 30 April 2019)
- Neuroprotective Agents (Deadline: 31 December 2018)
- New New Breakthroughs in GPCR Structure, Function and Their Impact on Drug Discovery (Deadline: 30 April 2019)
- New Trends in Production and Applications of Metal Radionuclides for Nuclear Medicine (Deadline: 30 November 2018)
- Past, Present, and Future of Radiochemical Synthesis (Deadline: 31 December 2019)
- Phenotypic Drug Discovery (Deadline: 28 February 2019)
- Photothermal Agents in Therapy (Deadline: 31 December 2018)
- Present and Future of Medicinal Chemistry Research: A Young Researchers’ Perspective (Deadline: 30 November 2018)
- Protein Biomarkers (Deadline: 28 February 2019)
- Recent Advances in Anticancer Drugs (Deadline: 31 January 2019)
- Recent Advances in the Development of Antiviral Agents (Deadline: 31 January 2019)
- Receptor-Dependent QSAR Methods (Deadline: 31 July 2019)
- Role of PPAR Receptors in Human Health and Disease (Deadline: 31 May 2019)
- Smart Polymers for Delivery of Bioactive Molecules (Deadline: 31 March 2019)
- The Potential Use of Herbal Medicinal Products in Chronic Disorders (Deadline: 30 June 2019)
- The Versatility of the Curcumin Scaffold for the Design of Bioactive Compounds (Deadline: 30 November 2019)
- Transcription Factors as Therapeutic Targets (Deadline: 31 October 2018)
- Xanthones: Themed Issue in Honor of Professor Madalena Pinto on the Occasion of Her 70th Birthday (Deadline: 31 December 2018)
Following topical collections within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Antibiotics & Superbugs: New Strategies to Combat Antimicrobial Resistance
- Herbal Medicine Research
- Molecular Docking
- Novel Drug Candidates for Anticancer Therapy: Design, Preliminary Evaluations, and Further Developments
- Poorly Soluble Drugs