St. Alban-Anlage 66,
4052 Basel, Switzerland
Tel. +41 61 683 77 34
Fax: +41 61 302 89 18
For more contact information, see here.
MDPI Author Services
Our author services and English editing will ensure your paper receives editing which is fast, accurate, and competitively priced. For language editing, native speakers edit every manuscript and can help to improve your expression at any stage prior to publication. We offer the following services:
- Layout editing: Preparing your submission to an MDPI journal, completed in 1 day.
- Rapid grammar check (regular edit): Feedback on the grammar and phrasing used in your paper within 2 business days.
- Specialist edit: A grammar check followed by a check of subject-specific terms and style by an expert in your research field.
- Ithenticate plagiarism check: Receive a report showing text duplication and potential plagiarism, along with advice on where to modify text and add further citations.
News and Updates
The 2019 MDPI Writing Prize: We invite essays of up to 1000 words to be submitted for this year's writing prize. The theme is "Judging research: How should research and researchers be evaluated and rewarded?" For furhter information and conditions, see the announcement.
Follow us on LinkedIn: You can now get writing tips, publishing advice and more from our Author Services team.
Get a quote and submit
Contact us by email.
Which editing option should I choose?
The kind of editing you require will depend on your own ability in English and academic writing, and your time constraints.
The most comprehensive edit is the “specialist edit” which includes grammar and style points. We will look at the overall structure and clarity of your writing. Note that the specialist edit is not currently available in all subject areas.
If you are confident about your writing style and the structure of the document, but want to have grammar and complex expressions checked, choose the "rapid grammar check". If you need to meet a short deadline, this is the quickest option.
To save time in preparing your submission to MDPI journals, you can choose the "layout editing" option.This can be carried out independently or with one of the other editing options.
If you want to check for evidence of plagiarism in your work, you can select the 'Plagiarism check' box.
What kind of papers can you edit?
Microsoft Word and LaTeX papers are accepted for editing. For LaTeX, upload a zip containing all of the files necessary to compile to a PDF, including any figures, .bib and .sty files.
How do I upload my manuscript?
1. Complete any revisions and accept any tracked changes. The uploaded file should be the final one that will be edited. We may start editing immediately after you submit, so we cannot guarantee to accept a later version if you upload the wrong file.
2. Remove text that should not be edited (e.g. author names and affiliations and the bibliography) and do a word count.
3. Go to the "Get a quote and submit" section at the top of this page, enter the word count and get a quote. A "Submit" button will appear, and you can click on it to enter your details and upload your file.
What is the maximum length that you can edit?
There is no fixed limit, but for papers longer than 10,000 words please contact us before submitting your paper. Note that we only edit research articles, not edit books or theses.
How much does it cost?
You can get a quotation using the box at the top of this page. The cost of language editing depends on the number of words in your manuscript. Formatting your manuscript is offered a fixed price, independent of the length of your paper. Plagiarism checking is also offered at a fixed price.
Which payment methods are available?
An invoice will be sent to you shortly after you submit your paper. Payment can be made in Swiss Francs (CHF), Euros (EUR), US Dollars (USD) or British Pound Sterling (GBP) by either credit card, bank transfer, or Paypal.
Credit card is the most immediate and convenient method: we receive payment confirmation immediately and will start editing your paper as soon as we receive it. Paypal is also immediate, but a 5% transfer fee applies. If you pay by bank transfer, we will not start editing your paper until we have confirmed the payment, which can take several days.
If there will be a long delay in payment (e.g., due to institutional bureaucracy), get in touch with evidence that the payment is being processed and we may be able to return the edited manuscript earlier.
Can I track my paper after submitting it for editing?
You can login the submission system to check the progress of your edit.
What is included in the layout editing service?
We will reformat your manuscript for submission to any MDPI journal, including checking that the text uses the MDPI house style. We also reformat references and look for missing information in the references and main text. This service does not include any checking of the language, but can be selected with or without language checking.
This option takes 24 hours to complete.
What is included in the rapid grammar check?
This level of editing is acceptable for submission to and publication in most journals. We will edit your writing to be grammatically correct, and remove awkward and ambiguous sentences. Your voice and choice of words will be kept where possible. Correct use of discipline-specific terms is not guaranteed and we do not rewrite prose.
This is a two-day service.
What is included in the specialist edit?
The specialist edit is our most comprehensive service. It includes all the features of the grammar check. In addition, you will receive editing and feedback relevant to the overall structure and clarity of expression in your document, along with a check of other elements of scientific writing.
The specialist edit takes four business days to complete.
What is included in the plagiarism check?
If you select a plagiarism check, your manuscript will be checked using the industry standard ithenticate software. You will receive an annotated report, including advice on parts of the manuscript that should be changed. A guide to plagiarism and ithenticate reports is available here.
The plagiarism check takes 24 hours to complete and will only be started after payment has been confirmed. If there are issues that need to be addressed, you will be able to revise and resubmit your paper before English or layout editing.
Under what circumstances will you not edit my paper?
There are several reasons we may not be able to edit your paper:
- The file is corrupted or the text is not easily editable (e.g. most of the text is contained in text boxes or pictures, or if the file contains a virus).
- The file is not an academic research paper. While we can edit responses to reveiwers and coverletters along with a paper, we do not edit theses, dissertations, essays, or books.
- Your manuscript is not written in English, or has been translated using automatic software such as Google Translate.
- Payment is not received in a reasonable amount of time. If you know in advance that it may take some time, for example due to bureaucracy at your institution, please contact us to let us know. It may be possible to return your edited paper to you if you provide evidence that payment has been made.