A pioneer in scholarly, open access publishing, MDPI has supported academic communities since 1996. Based in Basel, Switzerland, MDPI has the mission to foster open scientific exchange in all forms, across all disciplines.
Our 392 diverse, peer-reviewed, open access journals are supported by more than 115,000 academic experts who support our mission, values, and commitment to providing high-quality service for our authors. We serve scholars from around the world to ensure the latest research is freely available and all content is distributed under a Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY).
MDPI publishes over 85 journals that are ranked as high impact within their fields. To view the current impact factors for MDPI journals (according to the Journal Citation Reports), please visit our yearly announcement page here.
With additional offices in Beijing, Wuhan, Tianjin and Nanjing (China), Barcelona (Spain), Belgrade and Novi Sad (Serbia), Manchester (UK), Tokyo (Japan), Cluj and Bucharest (Romania), Toronto (Canada), Kraków (Poland), Singapore (Singapore) and Bangkok (Thailand), MDPI has published the research of more than 330,000 individual authors and our journals receive more than 25 million monthly webpage views.
More Information about MDPIView all annual reports of MDPI
Indexing of MDPI Journals
At MDPI, we aim to continuously expand coverage of our publications within the following main academic databases:
In addition to the main databases, we also focus on ensuring coverage of our journals within as many scope-specific databases as possible, in order to increase visibility for our authors, and further disseminate their impactful data. Moreover, we also work with various universities and government organizations, to ensure that our journals are listed within country-specific journal ranking lists that are often required by funders or institutions for authors to publish with a journal.
All Content is Open Access and Free for Readers
Journals published by MDPI are fully open access: research articles, reviews or any other content on this platform is available to everyone free of charge. To be able to provide open access journals, we finance publication through article processing charges (APC); these are usually covered by the authors' institutes or research funding bodies. Read more about our open access policy.
MDPI is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE). MDPI takes the responsibility to enforce a rigorous peer-review together with strict ethical policies and standards to ensure to add high quality scientific works to the field of scholarly publication. Unfortunately, cases of plagiarism, data falsification, inappropriate authorship credit, and the like, do arise. MDPI takes such publishing ethics issues very seriously and our editors are trained to proceed in such cases with a zero tolerance policy. To verify the originality of content submitted to our journals, we use iThenticate to check submissions against previous publications. MDPI works with Publons to provide reviewers with credit for their work.
MDPI is a member of
MDPI is Committed to the UN Global Compact
MDPI is a member of the United Nations Global Compact to support corporate sustainability and have committed ourselves to the ten principles associated with the Compact.
Sustainability has always been at the core of MDPI’s values, starting with the collection and preservation of rare chemical samples that started in 1996 and led to the first journal, Molecules. Sustainability has become one of our flagship journals and we have supported and organized several conferences and events based on Sustainability, including the 6th World Sustainability Forum. As a global enterprise, we see it as our duty to promote responsible practices that will ensure a bright future for our planet.
Mission and Values
As a pioneer of academic open access publishing, we serve the scientific community since 1996. Our aim is to foster scientific exchange in all forms, across all disciplines. See the following page for more information on our guiding principles.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
As a pioneer open access publisher, our mission is to make new research findings accessible to everyone. We are serving scholars from across the globe and from a variety of backgrounds. To deepen our understanding of the research communities that we serve, we aim to build journals that are just as diverse and inclusive. Only by valuing differences can we create an equitable and inclusive work environment and foster the openness that is key to our mission.
The daily exchange of ideas between the East and the West has been at the heart of MDPI's progress from day one. We understand that diversity does not end there. More needs to be done to bridge the gap between the global North and South—and to create equal opportunities for people without regard to race, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, country of origin, physical ability, or socio-economic status. There is no place for discrimination on the basis of any one of these characteristics.
MDPI adopts the principles of the Coalition for Diversity & Inclusion in Scholarly Communications (C4DISC) to support building equity, inclusion, diversity, and accessibility in scholarly communications. The Coalition is committed to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse traditions, heritages, and experiences. Our focus is on eliminating barriers to participation, extending equitable opportunities across all stakeholders, and ensuring that publishers' practices and policies promote equitable treatment and do not allow, condone, or result in discrimination.
In addition to journal publishing, MDPI is committed to other forms of research dissemination and supporting the academic publishing ecosystem:
- Sciforum (sciforum.net) is a platform for academic communication and collaboration where scholars can set up free scientific conferences or participate in discussion groups.
- Preprints (preprints.org) is a multidisciplinary, not-for-profit platform for rapid communication of research results before peer-review.
- Scilit (scilit.net) is a comprehensive, free database that indexes scholarly works using the full corpus of Crossref and PubMed data; new papers are added to Scilit immediately.
- JAMS (jams.pub) is a complete journal management system that incorporates all steps from initial submission to final publication, including peer-review, production, and APC invoicing. JAMS offers flexible administrative and production support to publishers and editors.
- MDPI Books (mdpi.com/books) offers quality open access book publishing to promote the exchange of ideas and knowledge across all disciplines.
- SciProfiles (sciprofiles.com) is an innovative social network for researchers and scholars, developed by MDPI. It is built to improve global scholarly communication, allowing scholars to record their research, as well as share and discuss their publications and ideas, publicly or privately.
- Proceedings Series (mdpi.com/about/proceedings) is a series of open access conference journals in all research fields, including biology, chemistry, engineering, environmental sciences, medical sciences, physical sciences, etc. These journals provide a high-quality service and are dedicated to making the output of conferences widely available.
- Encyclopedia (encyclopedia.pub) is an online reference created and curated by active scholars. It aims to highlight the latest research results as well as provide benchmark information for researchers and the general public interested in accurate and advanced knowledge on specific topics.
Brief History of MDPI
Read more about the History of MDPI.
Response to MDPI Wikipedia Article
Read more about the MDPI response to Wikipedia Article.