Special Issue "Bioactive Compounds from Plants and Foods with Pharmaceutical Interest"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 September 2020).
2. Instituto Agroalimentario de Aragón-IA2 (CITA-Universidad de Zaragoza)
Interests: natural products; functional foods; medicinal plants; bioactive compounds; polyphenols; anthocyanins; antioxidants; enzyme inhibitors
Interests: medicinal and aromatic plants; essential oils; green extraction; phytochemistry; bioactivity
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Special Issue in Molecules: Recent Advances in Extraction, Phytochemical Analysis and Bioactivity of Nonfood Plants with Well Established Relationships with Humans
Special Issue in Antibiotics: Antiprotozoal Activity of Natural Products
Special Issue in Plants: Insecticidal Activity of Plant Secondary Metabolites
Bioactive compounds from plants, foods or other natural sources represent a very important tool to improve health or prevent/treat certain diseases. There is currently a big interest in the study of bioactive compounds, extracts, and new ingredients from natural sources in order to produce pharmaceuticals, functional foods, nutraceuticals, botanicals, and dietary suplements.
Certain non-nutritive bioactive compounds present in foods and plants, known as phytochemicals (polyphenols, terpenes, alkaloids), offer a wide chemical diversity responsible for a wide range of pharmacological and biological properties; additionally, other bioactive compounds can be macro- or micronutrients with additional health benefits beyond their nutritional properties (omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, dietary fiber, vitamins, aminoacids, etc).
This Special Issue on “Bioactive Compounds from Plants and Foods with Pharmaceutical Interest” comprises a collection of original research and review articles about novel advances in the development and application of bioactive compounds and extracts from natural matrices. Topics include but are not limited to:
- Bioactivity of functional foods and medicinal plants for the development of dietary supplements, botanicals, medicines or cosmetics;
- Extraction and identification of bioactive compounds from foods, plants or natural sources with pharmacological applications;
- Antioxidants, polyphenols, and their uses in oxidative stress conditions;
- Essential oils and aromatic plants with pharmaceutical, cosmeceutical or agrochemical interest.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Filippo Maggi
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Pharmaceuticals is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- bioactive compounds
- functional foods
- medicinal plants
- essential oils
- natural products
- Applications of Liquid Chromatography in Analysis of Pharmaceuticals and Natural Products in Pharmaceuticals (10 articles)
- Anticancer Compounds in Medicinal Plants in Pharmaceuticals (10 articles)
- Medicinal Plants and Natural Compounds for Modulation of Neuroendocrine-Immune System and Potential Use in Ageing-Related Disorders in Pharmaceuticals (4 articles)
- Nutraceuticals and Botanicals: Bioactive Molecules and Therapeutic Properties for Human Health in Pharmaceuticals (5 articles)
- Plant Phytochemicals on Drug Development in Pharmaceuticals (6 articles)
- Medicinal Plants 2020 in Pharmaceuticals (26 articles)