Special Issue "Response and Adaptation during Human Exercise: From Physiology, Metabolism and Musculoskeletal Modelling to Understand Functional Disorders"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 October 2022.
2. Faculty of Sports Science, Ningbo University, Ningbo 315211, China
Interests: bioengineering (biomedical engineering); exercise physiology; musculoskeletal modeling; gait development and adaptation; mechanobiology; computational modelling; machine learning
Interests: human movement science; sports science; biomechanics; foot and ankle biomechanics
Interests: cardiovascular disease; obesity; diabetes; immune function; hormonal control; oxidative stress; muscle damage; steroid abuse; exercise biochemistry
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
Interests: mechanobiology; biomedical engineering; musculoskeletal modelling; bone remodeling; infant gait; wearable technology; orthopedics and joint implant; muscle mechanics
Exercise represents the various physical activities that enable human bodies to maintain health, fitness and wellbeing, and/or increase athletic performance. From a biological perspective, human response and adaptation to exercise training and sports playing can be observed in relation to physiology, metabolism, and the musculoskeletal system. Several recent studies have reported on the influence of exercise (physical activity, sports playing) on mortality, cardiovascular disease, metabolic disease, musculoskeletal disorders, and other health-related problems.
With the advancements of multi-disciplinary research, a comprehensive understanding of the response and adaptation as regards human exercise may be beneficial for the improvement of global health and well-being. Knowledge of physiology, metabolism, and musculoskeletal system may be integrated for consideration. Thus, we proposed this Special Issue on the “Response and Adaptation during Human Exercise: Physiology, Metabolism and Musculoskeletal Modeling to Understand Functional Disorders” for the Biology journal. On behalf of the guest editorial team, I would like to invite the submission of all types (including original studies, review studies and technical communications) of studies covering the topics to this Special Issues. The specific topics may include but are not limited to the following:
- Exercise (physical activity) for the prevention of chronic disease;
- Human skeletal muscle adaptations to exercise (physical activity);
- Exercise (physical activity) for the prevention of cardio and metabolic diseases;
- Metabolism and metabolic disorders in the diabetes;
- Physiological response to acute exercise (physical activity) intervention;
- Longitudinal adaptation of physiology to exercise training;
- Response and adaptation in the prolonged sport activities (race walking, marathon, etc.);
- Musculoskeletal modeling of human gait development;
- Musculoskeletal modeling of human locomotion disorders;
- Monitoring the musculoskeletal functions using wearable technology and machine learning;
- Sports injuries, joint disorders, and muscle damage in the exercise training.
Dr. Qichang Mei
Prof. Dr. Yaodong Gu
Prof. Dr. Julien S. Baker
Dr. Justin Fernandez
Dr. Stephen F Burns
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Biology is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- biological response and adaptation
- biomechanical modeling
- chronic diseases
- cardiovascular diseases
- exercise training and intervention
- metabolic disorders
- musculoskeletal disorder
- prolonged walking (race walking) and running (marathon)
- skeletal muscle
- sports injuries
- wearables and artificial intelligence