Special Issue "Mycotoxins: Mechanisms of Toxicological Activity - Treatment and Prevention"
A special issue of International Journal of Molecular Sciences (ISSN 1422-0067). This special issue belongs to the section "Molecular Pathology, Diagnostics, and Therapeutics".
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 October 2008).
By the mid-twentieth century, it was proved that mycotoxins were cause of sporadic, spontaneous and severe intoxications in humans and animals through the world. The toxic effects of mycotoxins on human health are complex and little understood. Furthermore, in warm, humid developing countries, regular mycotoxin presence in the diet affects human populations and domesticated animals, causing morbidity and premature deaths. Toxicological characteristics of mycotoxins (significant persistence in the environment, cheap manufacture and difficult detection) were studied extensively worldwide throughout the 20th century, but the exact mechanisms of their actions, as well as specific antidotes, are not known so far. In this special issue, original reaserch findings and review articles with regards to the mechanisms, treatment and prevention of mycotoxins are considered for publication.
Dr. Vesna Jacevic
Leading Papers and Reviews
- Bennett, J.W.; Klich, M. Mycotoxins. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 2003, 16, 497-516.
- Chivasa, S.; Ndimba, B.K.; Simon, W.J.; Lindsey, K.; Slabas, A.R. Extracellular ATP functions as an endogenous external metabolite regulating plant cell viability. Plant Cell 2005, 17, 3019-3034.
- Chu, F.S. Trichothecene mycotoxicoses. Encyclop. Hum. Biol. 1997, 8, 511-522.
- Creppy, E.E. Human ochratoxicosis. J. Toxicol. Toxin. Rev. 1999, 18, 277-293.
- Etzel, R.A. Mycotoxins. J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2002, 287, 425-427.
- Hedayati, M.T.; Pasqualotto, A.C.; Warn, P.A.; Bowyer, P.; Denning, D.W. Aspergillus flavus: human pathogen, allergen and mycotoxin producer. Microbiol. 2007, 153, 1677-1692.
- Josephs, R.D.; Derbyshire, M.; Stroka, J.; Emons, H.; Anklam, E. Trichothecenes: reference materials and method validation. Toxicol. Lett. 2004, 153, 123-132.
- Kemppainen, B.W.; Riley, R.T.; Pace, J.G. Skin absorption as a route of exposure for aflatoxin and trichothecenes. J. Toxicol. Toxin. Rev. 1988-89, 7, 95-120.
- Krska, R.; Baumgartner, S.; Josephs, R. Review: The state-of-art in the analysis of type-A and -B trichothecene mycotoxins in cereals. J. Anal. Chem. 2001, 71, 285-299.
- Larsen, J.C.; Hunt, J.; Perrin, I.; Ruckenbauer, P. Workshop on trichothecenes with a focus on DON: summary report. Toxicol. Lett. 2004, 153, 1-22.
- Moon, Y.; Pestka, J.J. Vomitoxin-induced cyclooxygenase-2 gene expression in macrophages mediated by activation of ERK and p38 but not JNK mitogen-activated protein kinases. Toxicol. Sci. 2002, 69, 373-382.
- Parent-Massin. D.; Parchment. R. Hematotoxicity of mycotoxins. Rev. Med. Vet. 1998, 149, 591-598.
- Parent-Massin, D. Haematotoxicity of trichothecenes. Toxicol. Lett. 2004, 153, 75-81.
- Pestka, J.J.; Zhou, H.R. Interleukin-6-deficient mice refractory to IgA dysregulation but not anorexia induction by vomitoxin ingestion. Food Chem. Toxicol. 2000, 38, 565-575.
- Pestka, J.J.; Zhou, H.R.; Moon, Y.; Chung, Y.J. Cellular and molecular mechanisms for immune modulation by deoxynivalenol and other trichothecenes: unraveling a paradox. Toxicol. Lett. 2004, 153, 61-73.
- Schlatter, J. Toxicity data relevant for hazard characterization. Toxicol. Lett. 2004, 153, 83-89.
- Speijers, G.J.A.; Speijers, M.H.M. Combined toxic effects of mycotoxins. Toxicol. Lett. 2004, 153, 918.
- Sudakin, D.L. Trichothecenes in the environment: relevance to human health. Toxicol. Lett. 2003, 143, 97-107.
- Pestka, J.J.; Smolinski, A.T. Deoxynivalenol: Toxicology and potential effects on humans. J. Toxicol. Environ. Health B Crit. Rev. 2005, 8 39-69.
- acute intoxications
- alimentary disorders
- analytic methods
- antagonism of mycotoxins
- carcinogenicity of mycotoxins
- chemical stability
- chronic intoxications
- dermal effects
- DNA alterations
- mitohondrial alteration
- food safety
- gene expression
- Hazard analysis
- in vitro and in vivo tests
- laboratory animals
- domestic animals
- macrocyclic trichothecenes
- medical treatment
- synergism of mycotoxins
- combination toxicology