Life (ISSN 2075-1729) is an international, peer-reviewed open access journal that publishes scientific studies related to fundamental themes in life sciences, especially those concerned with the origins of life and evolution of biosystems. Other areas of interest include synthetic biology and astrobiology. Our aim is to encourage scientists to publish their experimental and theoretical results in as much detail as possible. There is no restriction on the length of the papers. There are, in addition, unique features of this journal:
- Manuscripts regarding research proposals and research ideas will be particularly welcomed.
- Electronic files or software regarding the full details of the calculation and experimental procedure - if unable to be published in a normal way - can be deposited as supplementary material.
- Manuscripts communicating to a broader audience with regard to research projects financed with public funds are also welcomed.
- Authors have the option to publish all reviewer comments and editorial decisions alongside the final published manuscript.
- Reviewers can optionally sign their comments: in this case, their identity will be made public with the final published paper
Research fields of interest include but are not limited to:
- life detection
- molecular phylogeny
- origins of life
- origin and evolution of prokaryotes and eukaryotes
- prebiotic chemistry
- space biology
- synthetic biology
- synthetic life
MDPI Publication Ethics Statement
Life is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE). MDPI takes the responsibility to enforce a rigorous peer-review together with strict ethical policies and standards to ensure to add high quality scientific works to the field of scholarly publication. Unfortunately, cases of plagiarism, data falsification, inappropriate authorship credit, and the like, do arise. MDPI takes such publishing ethics issues very seriously and our editors are trained to proceed in such cases with a zero tolerance policy. To verify the originality of content submitted to our journals, we use iThenticate to check submissions against previous publications. MDPI works with Publons to provide reviewers with credit for their work.
Authors and publishers are encouraged to send review copies of their recent related books to the following address. Received books will be listed as Books Received within the journal's News & Announcements section.
Copyright / Open Access
Articles published in Life will be Open-Access articles distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The copyright is retained by the author(s). MDPI will insert the following note at the end of the published text:
Announcement and Advertisement
Announcements regarding academic activities such as conferences are published for free. Advertisement can be either published or placed on the pertinent website. For further information, please contact the editorial office.
For further MDPI contacts, see here.