The journal Life (MDPI, Switzerland, ISSN 2075-1729, https://www.mdpi.com/journal/life) is inviting applications for the Life 2021 PhD Thesis Award. This prize will be awarded to a PhD student who is about to graduate or participate in the graduation thesis. The applications will be assessed by an Evaluation Committee led by the Section Editors-in-Chief Prof. Dr. Bruce J. Nicholson and Prof. Dr. Pasquale Stano.
a. The candidate must be a PhD student who is going to graduate or participate in graduation thesis defenses.
b. The PhD thesis must be an original work in the broad area of life sciences and be defended between 1 January 2021 and 29 September 2021.
c. Applicants are required to submit the following documents:
– An executive summary (approximately 3000 words) of the PhD thesis in English;
– The candidate’s CV, including a list of publications related to the thesis, public presentations (specify whether they are posters or platform talks), and awards;
– An electronic copy of the PhD thesis;
– A scanned copy of the PhD diploma.
d. Three cover letters from: (1) the PhD student’s supervisor, (2) a member of the school at the same institution as the PhD student, and (3) an academic expert outside the PhD student’s institution. All those letters should be sent by the referrer to the journal office ([email protected]) and must not be seen by the applicant.
All documents and reference letters should be sent to the journal office ([email protected]) by 30 September 2021. For documents, please use the subject of email as: [life]- 2021 PhD Thesis Award-Name of Applicant; for reference letters, please use the subject of email as: [life]-2021 PhD Thesis Award-Name of Applicant-Reference Letter.
– Relevance of the PhD thesis to contributing to science and technology;
– Originality, creativity, novelty, and ingenuity;
– Quality of related publications and peer recognition;
– The degree to which the thesis addresses long-standing open questions or decisive and timely discoveries that mark qualitative leaps;
– Strength of the recommendation letters, including the rank of the student against others that they have known at this time in their career.
– Bonus (800 CHF).
Please send your applicatio materials to the journal office ([email protected]) with the corresponding subjects, by 30 September 2021. The winner will be announced on the journal’s website by the end of October 2021.