Special Issue "Biomedical Design and Manufacturing"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 30 April 2024 | Viewed by 14423
Interests: advanced manufacturing; biomedical manufacturing; brain machine interface; medical devices
Biomedical design and manufacturing includes the production of medical devices for diagnostics and treatment, engineered tissues and organs, microphysiological systems, cell- and protein-based therapeutics, and biomaterials, as well as the application of advanced devices and manufacturing technology in healthcare. This interdisciplinary research and development area sits at the intersection between design and manufacturing engineering and the healthcare sector, requiring the integration of expertise from both sectors. This Special Issue of Bioengineering aims to collect manuscripts that highlight new findings, concepts, designs, processes, and technologies advancing the state of the art in biomedical design and manufacturing. The topics of interest include but are not limited to the following:
- Biomedical manufacturing processes (both additive and subtractive) of soft constructs, metallic and ceramic implants, polymeric and composite materials, pharmaceutics and biomedicine, and other biomedical applications;
- Biological tissue cutting, removal, ablation, and/or joining processes;
- Design, manufacturing, and/or modeling of advanced medical devices, tools, surgical robotics, and medical simulators;
- Micro- and multi-scale manufacturing for biomedical applications;
- Design, characterization, and modeling of biomedical and biological materials and related manufacturing processes;
- Application of machine learning and artificial intelligence in biomedical manufacturing and medical devices;
- Reviews of the current state of knowledge and technology and of research needs in biomedical manufacturing.
Dr. Lei Chen
Dr. Walfre Franco
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Bioengineering is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2700 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- biomedical manufacturing
- engineering design
- medical devices
- surgical tool
- biological tissues
- manufacturing processes