Travel Award 2019
We are pleased to announce that Microorganisms will be offering a travel award for Postdocs and PhD students. The applications will be assessed by an evaluation committee chaired by the Editor-in-Chief, Prof. Dr. Martin von Bergen.
- The applicants must be PhD graduate students or postdoctoral fellows involved in microbiology research;
- The applicants will attend an international conference related to microbiology research in 2019 and present their research (poster or oral presentation) during the event;
Required Application Documents:
- An abstract describing recent unpublished work (around 500 words);
- Curriculum Vitae, including a complete list of publications;
- Justification letter indicating the conference that the applicant wishes to attend, costs, and institutional support that will be provided;
- Recommendation letter from his/her mentor;
- A copy of the page of the conference program showing the awardee’s abstract or presentation and the meeting badge that verifies his/her attendance, to be provided after the meeting.
The prize consists of:
- 800 Swiss Francs;
- A voucher for a free publication in Microorganisms in 2019.
Please, apply online at https://www.mdpi.com/journal/microorganisms/awards by 31 January 2019. The prize will be awarded by the end of March 2019 and announced on the Microorganisms website.
Microorganisms (ISSN 2076-2607) is a SCIE-indexed, peer-reviewed, open access microbiology journal, which provides an advanced forum for studies related to prokaryotic and eukaryotic microorganisms, viruses, and prions. It publishes reviews, research papers, and communications. There is no restriction on the length of the papers.
All microbiology related conferences are relevant, in particular:
- ASM Microbe 2019
- The Microbiology Society Annual Conference
- European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Annual Meeting - ECCMID 2019
- 8th Congress of European Microbiologists - FEMS 2019
- Extremophiles 2019
- Swiss Society for Microbiology Annual Congress 2019
- XVIII International Society for Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions (ISMPMI)
- Molecular Biology of Fungi
- Australian Society for Microbiology annual conference
- Polar & Alpine Microbiology 2019 Conference
- Society for Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology (SIMB) Annual Meeting
- Microbiome: Chemical Mechanisms and Biological Consequences (C3)
- IPC 2019
- Metabolomics and Human Health 2019
We are pleased to announce that the following papers were selected as the winners of the Microorganisms Best Paper Award 2018:
- Iain Dickinson, William Goodall-Copestake, Michael A.S. Thorne, Thomas Schlitt, Maria L. Ávila-Jiménez, and David A. Pearce. Extremophiles in an Antarctic Marine Ecosystem. Microorganisms, 2016, 4, 8. DOI: 10.3390/microorganisms4010008
- Aaron Lerner, Sandra Neidhöfer, and Torsten Matthias. The Gut Microbiome Feelings of the Brain: A Perspective for Non-Microbiologists. Microorganisms, 2017, 5, 66. Doi:10.3390/microorganisms5040066
The above papers were selected and confirmed by the “Best Paper Award” evaluation committee, which consisted of six members of the Microorganisms Editorial Board. The winners were determined according to the following criteria:
- Quality, novelty, and scientific soundness
- Citation and download rates
In recognition of their accomplishment, the winners will receive a certificate and an offer to publish a paper free of charge in Microorganisms, after the normal peer-review procedure.
Travel Award 2018
We are pleased to announce the winner of the 2018 Microorganisms Travel Award.
The Travel Award has been granted to Swan Li San Sow, a Ph.D. student at the University of Tasmania, Australia. Her research focuses on the environmental factors driving microbial community composition which may help predict responses of important biogeochemical processes to future climate change.
As the awardee, Swan Li San Sow will receive an honorarium of 800 Swiss Francs to support her attendance and participation in the conference of 17th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology- ISME17 in 2018.
I would like to thank all applicants for their participation and interest in our journal.
Prof. Dr. Martin von Bergen