Sustainability in Geographic Science
A section of Sustainability (ISSN 2071-1050).
Section Sustainability in Geographic Science aims to study the sustainable development of human beings from a comprehensive geography perspective. The section not only focuses on the theory and practical research of physical geography, human geography, and geographic information science but also pays attention to the research that integrates environment, society, and economy, informing interdisciplinary research and education for sustainability. Specifically, Sustainability in Geographic Science welcomes original, high-quality articles and reviews on the following topics:
- Physical geography: interactions and spatiotemporal variations among the various layers of the earth (lithosphere, pedosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, and biosphere), geographical processes, and elements (mountains, forests, grasses, fields, air, waters, lakes, and seas).
- Human geography: the practice of sustainable development of human beings, human well-being, culture, and community.
- Human-environment relationship: interactions between humans and the environment, geographical responses of human activities, and impacts of natural environment changes and climate change on land surface.
- Ecological science: the basic structure, components, and change of the social-natural ecosystem, focusing on the vulnerability of the ecosystem and ecological protection.
- Regional development and planning: integrated socio-economic, geographical location, and resources; research regional development and planning from local, regional, and global perspectives.
- Geographic information science: acquisition and application of high-quality geographic data, mapping, and remote sensing applications; geographic data and models for sustainable development strategies and decision-making.
- Geographic and ecological education: cognition and understanding of geography’s phenomena and knowledge; method, material, and logistics of geographic education for a diverse audience.
Topical Advisory Panel
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Challenges in Land Use and Land Cover Changes: Monitoring, Diversity and Variability, Sustainability (Deadline: 30 September 2023)
- Implementing Methods for Identifying Drivers of Landscape and Ecosystem Services Change with Computational (Objective) and Participatory Approaches (Deadline: 30 September 2023)
- Mountains Under Global Change (Deadline: 30 September 2023)
- Desertification Control and Sustainable Land Management (Deadline: 30 September 2023)
- Geography and Sustainable Earth Development (Deadline: 30 September 2023)
- Sustainable Development of Geographic Information Systems and Infrastructures (Deadline: 1 October 2023)
- The Detection and Application of Remote Sensing (Deadline: 13 October 2023)
- Urban and Social Geography and Sustainability (Deadline: 15 October 2023)
- Global Changes and Environmental Impacts on Soil, Rocks, Water, and Air Sustainability (Deadline: 22 October 2023)
- Editorial Board Members’ Collection Series: Regional Sustainable Development (Deadline: 8 November 2023)
- Human Behavior, Urban Health and Sustainability (Deadline: 15 November 2023)
- Application of GIS and Spatial Data Analytics in Studies of COVID-19 (Deadline: 15 November 2023)
- Towards a Green and Smart Cities: Urban Transport and Land Use (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Walkable Living Environments (Volume 2) (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Sustainable Development of Mineral and Geoheritage Resources (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Spatial Analysis and Land Use Planning for Sustainable Ecosystem (Deadline: 30 November 2023)
- Theory, Model, Technology, and Application of Remote Sensing in Sustainability (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Application of Remote Sensing for Sustainable Development (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- The 13th International Symposium on Cold Region Development Conference (ISCORD 2023) (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Sustainable Artificial Intelligence in Mobile Environment Sensing and Localization (Deadline: 31 December 2023)
- Global Social and Environmental Justice: Intersections and Dialogues (Deadline: 15 January 2024)
- Sustainability in Geospatial Analysis and Geographic Information Science Application (Deadline: 17 February 2024)
- Spatial-Temporal Analysis of Climate Variation, Natural Hazard and Land Cover Change Due to Urbanization or Urban Agglomeration Processes (Deadline: 28 February 2024)
- Reviving Shrinking Cities for Being More Sustainable, Just and Resilient–Prospects and Challenges for Urban Transformation, Policymaking and Planning (Deadline: 29 February 2024)
- The Spatial Aspects of the "Belt and Road" Initiative in Europe: The Location Patterns, Determinants and Impact of Chinese Foreign Direct Investment in the EU Regions (Deadline: 29 February 2024)
- Integrating Tourism Development into Urban Planning (Deadline: 15 March 2024)
- Basin Tectonic Analysis and Geoenergy Exploration (Deadline: 17 March 2024)
- Sustainable Development: Role of Geospatial Modeling, AI and Remote Sensing (Deadline: 24 March 2024)
- Research and Practice on the Application of Urban and Rural Spatial Governance in Highly Urbanized Regions (Deadline: 29 March 2024)
- Research on the Advances of Geological Structure Survey Theory and Detection Technology (Deadline: 31 March 2024)
- Sustainable Cultural Tourism: Balancing Preservation, Development and Visitor Experience (Deadline: 15 April 2024)
- Sustainability in Mineral Potential Mapping of Key Mineral Resources (Deadline: 18 April 2024)
- Urban Land Use, Urban Vitality and Sustainable Urban Development (Deadline: 21 April 2024)
- Geological Environment Monitoring and Early Warning Systems (Deadline: 30 April 2024)
- Recent Advances in Wetland Material Cycle, Pollution Control and Engineering Application (Deadline: 30 April 2024)
- Research on Source and Evolution of Sedimentary Materials in Oil and Gas Exploration (Deadline: 6 May 2024)
- Geographic Information Science in Transportation and Traffic Safety (Deadline: 24 May 2024)
- Remediation Geology and Technologies: Geology-Focused Approach and Chemical–Physical and Biological Processes for Sustainable Remediation (Deadline: 9 June 2024)
- Rural Policies, Farmers’ Perceptions and Planning: Enhancing Collaborative Sustainability (Deadline: 10 June 2024)
- Biofuel-Induced Land Use Changes: Theory, Modeling Practices, Historical Observations, and Sustainability (Deadline: 30 June 2024)
- Advanced Research on Climate Change and Marine Ecology (Deadline: 1 July 2024)
- Geographic Information Engineering and Geoenvironmental Sustainability (Deadline: 26 July 2024)
- Human Geography: Interrelationships between People, Place, and the Environment (Deadline: 31 July 2024)
- Monitoring, Early Warning and Mitigation Measures of Mountain Hazards and Environmental Degradation (Deadline: 31 July 2024)
- Wetland Ecosystems: Exploring Biodiversity Patterns and Conservation Strategies (Deadline: 15 August 2024)
Following topical collections within this section are currently open for submissions: