Special Issue "Advances in Selective Laser Melting"
A special issue of Metals (ISSN 2075-4701).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 30 September 2019
Prof. Dr. Makoto Kobashi
Additive manufacturing (AM) technologies have the great potential to provide an innovation in how metal products are designed and manufactured. The AM process has recently provided novel approaches to control topological structures and microstructure of metal products, which are incorporated in many different varieties of industrial materials applied for automobiles, aircrafts and medical implants. One of the most commonly-used AM processes is a selective laser melting (SLM) combined with powder bed system. The SLM process uses laser beams to melt and fuse powder metals and/or alloys, which may include selective laser sintering (SLS), direct metal laser sintering (DMLS) and selective heat sintering (SHS). This Special Issue covers a wide scope, comprising new (modified) processing routes, product materials, theoretical computations and applications associated with the SLM process including the powder technologies. In addition, recent advances in electron beam melting (EBM) technologies are welcome as well. Topics of particular interest include, but are not limited to:
- Advancements in selective laser melting (SLM) process
- New laser processing technologies combined with powder bed system
- Properties and performance of SLM-produced metals and alloys—mechanical, thermal, electrical, chemical and biologicals
- Microstructural control of SLM-produced metals and alloys
- Material (alloy) designs for manufacturing products by SLM
- Topological designs of metal products applicable for SLM
- Theoretical computations to further understand phenomenon during SLM processing
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Naoki Takata
Prof. Dr. Makoto Kobashi
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Metals is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1500 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Selective laser melting
- Laser processing
- Scan strategy
- Powder metallurgy
- Rapid melting and solidification
- Physical (mechanical, thermal) and electrochemical (biological) properties
- Multi-materials and composites
- Applications (automotive, aviation, consumer electronics, bio-medical, etc.)