Special Issue "Phage-Host Interactions 2021"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 October 2021.
Interests: phage-host interactions; Yersinia virulence; bacteriophage therapy
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
After the successful special issue on Phage-Host Interactions published in 2018 https://www.mdpi.com/journal/viruses/special_issues/phage_host we feel that time is ripe for a 2nd round of articles around that topic.
Phage–host interactions can be viewed through the natural life cycle of phages:
- Host range of the phages: The determinants that play a role in the different aspects of the host range of the phages. These include, for example, the receptor binding proteins of the phages and the phage receptor structures on bacteria.
- The defense mechanisms of the host bacteria. To prevent phage infections bacteria employ the restriction enzymes and the CRISPR/Cas systems. The phages fight back by producing anti-restriction and/or anti-CRISPR molecules.
- The factors that phage use to take over the host metabolism.
- The mechanisms phage uses to reach its own goals, for example, re-cycling host-derived macromolecules for building blocks of phage nucleic acids and proteins. Or how phages take over host transcription. Or what host functions are exploited by the phages for replication, transcription and translation.
- The phage particle assembly and lysis of the host cells.
- Temperate phages and the lysogenic life cycle.
In this Special Issue we would like to address all these different stages of phage infection.
Prof. Dr. Mikael Skurnik
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Viruses is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2200 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- modified nucleotides
- receptor binding proteins
- phage receptors
- phage-host interactions
- bacterial lysis