Special Issue "Grand Celebration: 100th Anniversary of the Discovery of Heparin"
A special issue of Pharmaceuticals (ISSN 1424-8247).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 May 2016)
Prof. Dr. Madalena Pinto
1. Laboratório de Química Orgânica e Farmacêutica, Departamento de Ciências Químicas, Faculdade de Farmácia, Universidade do Porto, Rua de Jorge Viterbo Ferreira, 228, 4050-313 Porto, Portugal
2. Centro Interdisciplinar de Investigação Marinha e Ambiental (CIIMAR/CIMAR), Universidade do Porto, Edifício do Terminal de Cruzeiros do Porto de Leixões, Av. General Norton de Matos s/n, 4050-208 Matosinhos, Portugal
Website | E-Mail
Interests: drug discovery; chiral bioactive compounds; chiral recognition and chiral analyses
Prof. Dr. Maria Emília de Sousa
1. Laboratório de Química Orgânica e Farmacêutica, Departamento de Ciências, Químicas, Faculdade de Farmácia, Universidade do Porto, Rua Jorge Viterbo Ferreira 228, 4050-313, Porto, Portugal
2. Interdisciplinar de Investigação Marinha e Ambiental (CIIMAR/CIMAR), Universidade do Porto, Terminal de Cruzeiros do Porto de Leixões, Avenida General Norton de Matos, S/N 4450-208 Matosinhos, Portugal
Website | E-Mail
Interests: medicinal chemistry; organic synthesis; heterocycles, P-glycoprotein; anticancer; anticoagulants; chiral drugs; marine natural products
Prof. Dr. Marta Correia da Silva
Laboratório de Química Orgânica e Farmacêutica, Departamento de Ciências, Químicas, Faculdade de Farmácia, Universidade do Porto, Rua Jorge Viterbo Ferreira 228, 4050-313, Porto, Portugal; Centro Interdisciplinar de Investigação Marinha e Ambiental (CIIMAR/CIMAR), Universidade do Porto, Rua dos Bragas 289, 4050-123 Porto, Portugal
Website | E-Mail
Interests: medicinal chemistry; synthesis of sulfated and glycosylated small molecules mimetics of heparin; discovery of biological activities for persulfated versus partially sulfated small molecules; antifouling studies of partially sulfated small molecules; antithrombotic studies of persulfated small molecules; structure-activity and structure-properties relationships studies of bioactive small molecules
Heparin has been used clinically as an antithrombotic agent since the 1940s. However, the history of heparin began in 1916, during the World War I. Continued work on structural characterization, synthesis, structure-activity relationship of heparins has expanded their activity/function spectrum and opens new potential applications. To celebrate a century of discoveries and progresses on this field, the journal Pharmaceuticals now invites valuable contributions that report original observations or reviews. Select topics are listed below and you are welcome to generate a unique topic. This collection of manuscripts will be published as a Special Issue in the journal first and hopefully as an eBook later on. Investigators in the Glycosaminoglycans or other related fields are encouraged to participate in this special event. Please email Prof. Madalena Pinto (email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like to make a contribution.
- New heparin mimetics
- New therapeutic applications for heparin/heparan sulfate
- Improved preparation and synthesis of heparins
- Structural characterization of heparin, low molecular weight heparins (LMWHs), and heparin oligosaccharides
- Structure-activity relationships of heparin, LMWHs and heparin oligosaccharides for inflammation, cancer and anticoagulant activities
- Improving oral bioavailability of heparins
Prof. Dr. Madalena M. M. Pinto
Dr. Maria Emília de Sousa
Dr. Marta Correia da Silva
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Pharmaceuticals is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 850 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- structural characterization