Special Issue "Plasma Surface Engineering of Materials"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 30 September 2020.
Interests: PECVD; plasma treatment of powders; adhesion enhancement; composite materials; functional surfaces
Interests: tribological coatings; biocompatible coatings; DLC coatings, icephobic surfaces; corrosion resistant coatings
Plasma technologies have become a part of industrial applications that replace or compete with standard technologies. Their potential is expanding thanks to new plasma sources and new techniques. This opens new areas where these technologies have a potential for future application. Successful applications include adaptive tribology coatings working at high temperatures or the surface treatment of polymer-based nanoparticles. Another interesting area is hybrid technologies. In this case, plasma technologies can complement or facilitate the application of already-established methods. For example, plasma cleaning prior to bonding and colouring, increasing adhesion between reinforcements and the matrix in composites, or the coating of materials made using additive manufacturing. This Special Issue will include knowledge from basic research that has potential for industrial use as well as that which can be applied in existing industrial technologies. We will focus on the following specialized topics:
- Plasma and ion surface engineering (ion and plasma sources, new generation of pulse power supplies, HiPIMS)
- Coatings in contact with water and ice (icephobic surfaces, superhydrophobic and superhydrophilic surfaces)
- Adaptive tribological coatings (high temperature tribological coatings, self-lubricating coatings)
- Flexible coatings (abrasion resistant coatings, hard nanocomposite coatings, self-healing coatings)
- Biomedical and biological applications (biocompatible and biodegradable coatings, biofunctionalization of surfaces, agricultural applications)
- Particles and powders in plasma (nanoparticle synthesis, treatment and functionalization of nanoparticle surfaces)
- Plasma treatment, plasma cleaning (surface cleaning and functionalization for adhesion and bonding, application on composite materials)
- Plasma–surface interaction (simulation and modelling, surface modifications)
Prof. Petr Špatenka
Dr. Ladislav Cvrček
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Materials is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- icephobic surfaces
- plasma treatment
- plasma cleaning
- biocompatible coatings
- tribology coatings
- flexible coatings
- nanoparticle treatment