Special Issue "Laser Materials Processing and Hybrid Approaches"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 May 2020.
Interests: laser processing; additive manufacturing; laser metal deposition; powder bed processes; materials and multimaterials; production engineering; system technology for AM
Laser materials processing (LMP) is used in a wide range of industrial applications and is an essential part of our daily life. Various processes—e.g., additive manufacturing, welding, cutting, ablation, microtechnology, as well as hardening—require different laser configurations. To fulfill high industrial demands, modern laser sources are highly flexible, compact, and available with different wavelengths.
For the right use, a profound understanding of the whole laser process is necessary: This includes fundamental process phenomena such as the interaction between laser beam and matter, melt pool behavior, but also material history.
In addition to pure LMP, process chains often combine laser processes with other production engineering technologies. By combining different energy sources as well as whole process technologies (hybrid solutions), overall benefits can be reached.
This Special Issue addresses the broad spectrum of laser materials processing along the process chain, taking into account:
- process observations and fundamental research;
- simulation and modeling in LMP;
- novelties in system technology and hybrid approaches;
- new material solutions, ranging from single to multimaterial processing;
- aspects of commercialization and industrial case studies, as well as
- solutions for digitalization.
Hence, it combines the whole field of material, system, and process-related aspects.
We would like to invite you to submit a manuscript for this special issue on LMP. Full papers as well as letters are highly welcome!
Prof. Frank Brückner
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Materials is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Process phenomena in laser materials processing
- Laser beam interaction with matter
- Additive manufacturing, e.g., laser metal deposition, laser powder bed fusion/selective laser melting
- Hybrid manufacturing, in combination with conventional manufacturing routes
- Macro- and microtechnology
- Laser ablation and cutting
- Digitalization in laser materials processing
- Theoretical aspects and modeling
- Future perspectives of laser materials processing