Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Application of Wireless Sensor Networks in Monitoring"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 29 February 2020.
Interests: health monitoring; wireless sensor networks; unmanned aerial systems (UAS); distributed systems
For a while now, there has been a tendency to monitor all kinds of production processes, our physical activity, the evolution of our health, our eating habits, our sleep habits, our energy consumption, etc. Our daily lives are dotted with smart monitoring devices in charge of providing a great amount of data concerning many aspects of our lives and activities. Current technology allows classical monitoring, but also activity and lifestyle monitoring.
IoT devices (Internet of Things) make easy the development of health, sport, and home-care applications. Classical monitoring includes issues as air pollution, environmental, water quality, parking occupancy, traffic monitoring, and many others. Actually, different approaches emerge focusing on other more novel aspects such as reliability, quality assurance, accreditation of responsibilities, custody assurance, etc. Current WSN monitoring applications are not only in charge of data collection, but also of guaranteeing its integrity, certifying the processes carried out, and guaranteeing full transparent traceability.
This Special Issue will explore new and visionary applications in wireless sensor networks monitoring. Contributions that address but are not restricted to the following topics are welcome:
- Medical Internet of Things (MIoT) applications: patient monitoring, elderly monitoring, health assistants, e-nurse, smart and assisted self-care, etc.
- Smart cities monitoring applications: social patterns identification, governance impact monitoring, informational ecosystem discovery and sharing, participatory applications, etc.
- Mobility monitoring: dynamic proposition of travel routes according to individual user parameters (phobias, phyllia, allergies, etc.), event-driven mobility due to culture, sport or traditional events, monitoring the environment of people with intellectual disabilities, mobility difficulties (Parkinson disease) or reduced mobility in order to facilitate their mobility through active policies.
- Aerial surveillance and monitoring: unmanned aerial systems (UAS) in cooperation with wireless sensor networks, optimal data collection, inspection, and monitoring of power transmission lines, large area monitoring, collaborative monitoring.
- Structural health monitoring: damage detection and characterization for engineering structures, monitoring of the changes experimented by a material, or certain property of a structural system.
- Environmental monitoring: early fire detection, landslide detection, detection and monitoring of floods and river overflows, forest monitoring, etc.
- Athlete monitoring: fatigue and recovery monitoring in high-performance sport, smart heart rate monitoring for sports, evaluation of people movement, etc.
- Multi-sensor fusion approaches
Prof. Dr. José Javier Astrain
Prof. Alberto Córdoba
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Electronics is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Wireless sensor network (WSN)
- Medical Internet of Things
- Mobility monitoring
- Structural health monitoring
- Environmental monitoring
- Unmanned aerial vehicles