Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "ICT4S— ICT for Sustainability Conference 2019"
A special issue of Sustainability (ISSN 2071-1050).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 October 2019.
The transformational power of ICT is essential to put our society and all its stakeholders on the path to sustainability. This potential could embrace all levels, from individuals to communities, from public sector to all industry sectors, from business goals to social aspirations and environmental objectives within a nation and globally. ICT can bring people together to build thriving, resilient society.
This special issue will present selected papers from the 2019 ICT for Sustainability Conference in June 12–14, 2019 (ict4s.fi) but welcomes also other papers relating to ICT for sustainability in a broad sense and papers developing this year’s theme of ICT4S (and beyond).
The theme of the 2019 ICT4S conference is “Sisu”. Perhaps having no direct English equivalent, Sisu defines the soul of Finland: tenacity of purpose; a relentless perseverance to transform barriers into opportunities; courage in the face of adversity; an action-oriented mindset; a collective choice – we are strong together; and, a love for the long-term potential. We believe that Sisu describes the essence of ICT4S: a collective empowering of people with the idea that there is a strength within us that is greater than the adversities we endure – ICT4S can make a positive difference, to empower an inclusive regeneration.
The papers submitted and published in this special issue should focus on the general themes of the ICT4S conference:
- Regenerative technologies
- Role of technologies in enhancing outcomes
- Incentives for more sustainable ICT
- Needs and challenges for technology enhancement
- First and second order effects of technology enhancements
- Smart cities, homes and offices
- Sustainable infrastructures (Sustainability in data centers and communication networks)
- Energy-efficient and energy-aware software engineering
- Green transportation and logistics
- Intelligent energy management in buildings
- Reduced hardware obsolescence
- E-waste and closed material cycles
- Enabling responsible businesses
- Challenges for an environmentally sustainable (ICT) industry
- Matching the sustainability goals to business needs
- Sustainability in business and organizations
- Design principles for sustainable ICT
- Supporting alternative models
- Enabling socioecological transformation
- Transforming societies
- Needs and challenges of social change towards sustainable future
- Third order impacts of sustainable development
- ICT-induced behavioral and societal change
- Tools supporting green decision making and development
- Software for sustainable business governance
- Sustainable community building via ICT
- Systematic interdisciplinary efforts in ICT for sustainability
- Enabling and systemic effects of ICT on society and/or the environment
- Climate informatics
- Education in ICT for sustainability
- Inclusion, privilege and power
- Democracy and politics
- Open and ethical data
- Social (in)justice
- Balance of responsibility
- Incentives for individual change
- Stakeholders from all sectors
- Individual and collective responsibility
- Values, mindsets
- Ethical choices for consumers
- Supporting workforces
- Impact at scale
Prof. Samuel Mann
Dr. Annika Wolff
Prof. Jari Porras
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sustainability is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1700 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- responsible business