Special Issue "Thermal Safety of Chemical Processes"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 April 2021).
Interests: biomass valorization; kinetic modeling; calorimetry; process intensification
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Thermal runaway is one of the main reasons for accidents in the chemical industry, originating from technical problems such as cooling failures, errors of operators, or poor risk analysis. The well-established, thermal safety of chemical processes is essential to ensure the development of the chemical industry. From this viewpoint, assessment of a chemical process is challenging, as it requires knowledge of the kinetics and thermodynamics at different thermal modes, characteristics of the chemical reactor, and all possible operating conditions.
In this Special Issue, “Thermal Safety of Chemical Processes”, we wish to present the diversity of this research area and focus on the research efforts regarding prevention and protection against thermal runaway incidents. Topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Thermal analysis and calorimetry for measurements of thermal or thermal risk parameters (specific heat capacity, TMRad, ΔTad, …)—development of kinetic and thermodynamic models;
- Modeling of thermal runaway phenomena in chemical reactions, description or simulation of accident scenarios due to thermal runaways;
- Thermal risk analysis—development of risk matrix, new thermal risk parameters, and definition of assessment criteria;
- Development of safety barriers and prevention in the case of thermal runaway—rupture disks, early warning detection systems, and temperature control;
- Early detection of thermal runaway, diagnosis of the causes of thermal runaway;
- Robust or smart control for thermal runaway, operation reconfiguration;
Contributions in the form of full-length articles, short communications, and reviews are all welcome.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Sébastien Leveneur
Prof. Dr. Dimitri Lefebvre
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Processes is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- thermal risk assessment
- early warning detection system
- thermal runaway
- reactor stability
- safety criteria