Special Issue "Emerging Theranostic Tracers in the Context of Radiopharmaceutical Drug Development"
A special issue of Pharmaceuticals (ISSN 1424-8247).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 January 2017).
Interests: radiopharmaceutical sciences; labeling chemistry; medicinal chemistry; PET tracers; radiopharmaceuticals for diagnostics and endoradiotherapy; small molecules; peptides; antibodies and derivatives thereof
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Topical Collection in Pharmaceuticals: The Story of Successful Drugs and Recent FDA-Approved Molecules
Special Issue in Pharmaceuticals: Forward Thinking towards Theranostic (Radio)ligands Targeting the Tumor Microenvironment (TME)
Interests: theranostics; radiopharmaceutical sciences; radiolabeling chemistry; radiometals for medicinal purposes; PET tracers, dosimetry for individualized treatment-planning, nuclide production, automatization
Theranostics is a portmanteau consisting of the two words therapy and diagnostics and exemplifies the tight relationship of both disciplines. In nuclear medicine the possibility of labelling a molecular targeting vector (e.g., peptides) either with diagnostic (e.g., positron or gamma-emitters) or therapeutic radionuclides paved the way for a personalized treatment, taking the advantage of imaging diagnostics for early detection, staging, therapy selection, planning and follow-up in cancer therapy.
Since the first theranostic application in the mid-1940s of radioiodine (123I: γ-emitter, imaging; 131I: β- and γ-emitter, therapy and imaging) for therapy of differentiated thyroid cancers the number of theranostic agents and the number of clinical applications is increasing successively. Subsequently, nuclear medicine becomes more and more important, especially in oncology, where this engaging of imaging and therapy leads to increased therapeutic efficiency in cancer treatment.
We would like to invite you, to contribute review or original research articles covering the different facets of this emerging field of research, which will be published as a Special Issue on “Emerging Theranostic Tracers in the Context of Radiopharmaceutical Drug Development”.
Areas of interest include, but are not limited to:
• Development of theranostic radiopharmaceuticals
• Pre-clinical and clinical application of theranostics in oncology
• Production, radiolabelling and application of new isotopes for theranostics (imaging and/or therapy)
• PET/SPECT imaging for dosimetry and therapy monitoring
Prof. Dr. Klaus Kopka
Dr. Elisabeth Eppard
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Pharmaceuticals is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Imaging (PET, SPECT)
- Nuclear medicine
- The Future Direction of Radiopharmaceutical Development for Cancer Theranostics in Pharmaceuticals (9 articles)
- Next Generation of MRI Agents in Pharmaceuticals (9 articles)
- Forward Thinking towards Theranostic (Radio)ligands Targeting the Tumor Microenvironment (TME) in Pharmaceuticals (2 articles)
- Radiopharmaceuticals for Relapsed or Refractory Ovarian Cancers in Pharmaceuticals (2 articles)
- Preparation of Radiopharmaceuticals and Their Use in Drug Development in Pharmaceuticals (3 articles)
- Radiopharmaceutical Chemistry between Imaging and Radioendotherapy in Pharmaceuticals (12 articles)
- Radiochemistry in Pharmaceuticals (2 articles)
- Targets, Tracers and Translation – Novel Radiopharmaceuticals Boost Nuclear Medicine in Pharmaceuticals (16 articles)
- New Challenges in Radiochemistry in Pharmaceuticals (3 articles)