Special Issue "Microalgal Biotechnology"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 June 2015).
Prof. Dr. Yanqun Li
College of Food Science and Technology, Guangdong Ocean University, East Huguangyan, Zhanjiang, 524088, Guangdong Province, China
Interests: Microalgal Biotechnology, Food Science
Microalgae have been well established as promising cellular photobioreactors for biofuel production, CO2 sequestration, wastewater treatment, air pollution mitigation, phytoremediation of eutrophic waters, and production of platform and novel chemicals. Nevertheless, tremendous challenges have been impeding commercial application of microalgae in many different ways and there are no simple solutions. This special issue invites contributions in the form of original research papers or review papers on all aspects of microalgal biotechnology, dedicated to both the understanding of the fundamentals and development of industry-oriented technologies. Some of these topics are as follows:
- Gene engineering of microalgae;
- Development of microalgal strains using natural selection, mutagenesis, or genetic engineering;
- Development and optimization of media and processes for microalgal farming;
- Heat transfer, mass transfer, light capturing and distribution in photobioreactors;
- Design and operation of microagal farming systems at small, pilot and large scale;
- Kinetics of growth and product formation of microalgae;
- Effects of environmental factors on microalgae;
- Contaminations and control of biological agents in microalgal farms;
- Production of platform or novel chemicals from microalgae;
- Microalgae for CO2 mitigation, wastewater treatment, phytoremediation, air pollution mitigation;
- Microalgae as feedstock for biofuels, animinal feeds, and human foods.
Prof. Dr. Christopher Q. Lan
Prof. Dr. Yanqun Li
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. International Journal of Molecular Sciences is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- co2 mitigation
- renewable energy