Special Issue "Cultural Heritage: Current Threats and Opportunities"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 March 2021.
Interests: urban geography; territorial development; sustainable spatial and urban planning; ecosystems thinking; eco-urbanism; urban design; built heritage; marine/maritime spatial planning; underwater cultural heritage
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Interests: philosophy of arts and culture; architecture; built heritage; heritage management; sustainability
Following the ECHOPOLIS 2018 International Conference (www.echopolis.eu) held in Athens, Greece (26–28 November 2018), a Special Issue welcoming contributions that are dedicated to major research themes related to “Cultural Heritage: Current Threats and Opportunities” is proposed. The following research subjects, discussed also in the framework of some ECHOPOLIS Plenary and Special Sessions, are indicated here as possible topics of interest:
- Natural and tangible/intangible Cultural Heritage as Strategic Territorial Development Resources;
- Linking cultural and natural heritage;
- Climate change, natural and other threats to cultural heritage;
- Sounds and Soundscapes as elements of the culture of places;
- Cultural heritage, archaeological sites, monuments, and sensory landscapes;
- Shaping places with culture and nature;
- Natural and cultural heritage: planning, management, governance, marketing, funding;
- New mapping and surveying technologies for cultural or/and natural heritage Tourism and Heritage, Cultural Tourism.
This Special Issue will also be open to contributions dealing with other subjects related to the major research themes mentioned above.
Dr. Stella Kyvelou
Prof. Nikitas Chiotinis
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Heritage is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1200 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Cultural heritage
- Natural heritage
- Cultural Landscapes
- Sensory Landscapes
- Cultural ecosystem services
- Mapping and surveying technologies for cultural heritage
- Governance of cultural heritage
- Underwater cultural heritage
- Cultural heritage sites
- Contemporary Museum practices
- Tourism and Heritage
- Cultural Tourism