Special Issue "Emerging Trends in Freshwater Ecology and Ecosystem Management"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 March 2021.
Interests: freshwater biology; stream ecology; freshwater pollution; macroinvertebrate ecology & taxonomy; environmental monitoring & assessment; biogeography; ecosystems protection & management
Interests: ecohydraulics; macroinvertebrates; freshwater ecology; habitat modelling; ecological modelling; ecological monitoring; ecological indicators; sustainable development
Today, freshwater ecosystems are being critically threatened by agrochemical and industrial pollution, habitat degradation and loss, the introduction of invasive species, unsustainable dam construction, water overexploitation, and anthropogenic and climate-change-induced water scarcity. This Special Issue of Water welcomes scientific contributions from freshwater scientists, water managers, and policy makers that will enhance the state-of-the-art scientific knowledge in research and applications in the field of freshwater ecology and ecosystem protection and management. Contributors may propose advanced concepts/frameworks and solutions, demonstrate new ecological tools to tackle the aforementioned issues, and advance towards a balanced/sustainable human interaction with freshwater ecosystems. Specifically, submissions may address one of the following issues:
- Impact of pollution on freshwater ecosystems;
- Innovative concepts and practices regarding pollution mitigation and management;
- Reviews of sustainable freshwater resources management policies and best practice case studies;
- Effects of multiple stressors on freshwater ecosystems;
- Effects of climate change on freshwater ecosystems; future scenarios; and how to prevent further biodiversity loss;
- Ecological modelling applications within wider freshwater management and restoration schemes;
- Development of new generic and/or stressor-specific biotic indices;
- Cost-effective and time-efficient ecological restoration techniques and practices;
- New concepts on fundamental freshwater ecology that could contribute to advancing policy frameworks;
- Other fundamental and applied freshwater ecology topics that may contribute to developing a balanced relationship between humans and the environment.
Dr. Ioannis Karaouzas
Dr. Christos Theodoropoulos
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Water is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Freshwater ecology
- Ecological modelling
- Pollution mitigation
- Multiple stressors
- Sustainable freshwater management
- Integrated water resources management
- Ecological applications