Water (ISSN 2073-4441) is an international and interdisciplinary open-access journal covering all aspects of water, including water science, technology, management and governance. It publishes original research papers, critical reviews and short communications. There is no restriction on the length of the papers.
Full methodical and/or experimental details must be provided for research articles. We encourage scientists to publish their research in as much detail as possible. Computed data or files regarding the full details of the experimental procedure or model set-up, if unable to be published as part of the main manuscript, can be deposited as supplementary material.
The scope of Water encompasses the following research areas:
- Water resources management: water resources systems; monitoring, remediation and protection of water resources; water resources planning; adaptive management; water demand management; national and international water policy; water economics.
- Water governance: institutional arrangements; water law; water rights; property regimes; trans-boundary water issues; water conflict; water politics; water security; history of water resources.
- Hydrology & hydraulics: catchment hydrology; modelling and remote sensing; climate change & land use change impacts; surface-groundwater interactions; soil water; aquifers; river & groundwater flow; peak and low flows; drought; variability & uncertainty.
- Water scarcity: water allocation & use; water recycling and reuse; reservoirs; rainwater harvesting; river basin closure; groundwater depletion; drought management.
- Flood risk: flood modelling; flood impacts; flood risk management; flood protection; flood resilience; flood retention basins; hazard zoning; flood insurance.
- Water quality: physics, chemistry and biology of water; point-source and diffuse water pollution; transport processes; nutrients; pesticides; metals; pharmaceuticals; erosion and sediment transport; hydro-geochemistry and contaminant hydrogeology.
- Water & wastewater treatment: water purification; treatment of domestic and industrial wastewater; water reuse; constructed wetlands; treatment wetlands.
- Urban water management: urban drainage; storm water management; sewerage; local water storage; permeable pavement systems.
- Water footprint assessment: water consumption & pollution along supply chains; virtual water trade; international water dependencies; sustainability, equitability and efficiency of water use; corporate water disclosure & stewardship; water risk.
- Water-food: rain-fed and irrigated agriculture; water productivity, irrigation efficiency; aquaculture; hydroponics; aquaponics.
- Water-energy: water use in energy production; energy use in water supply and treatment; hydropower; integrated water-carbon footprint studies.
- Water-human development: drinking water supply and sanitation; effects of contaminated water on health; waterborne diseases; water and poverty; water constraints to growth.
- Water-ecosystems: aquatic ecology; wetlands; environmental water requirements; degradation of aquatic ecosystems; preservation; restoration; environmental impacts of dams and other infrastructure; invasive species.
MDPI Publication Ethics Statement
Water is a member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE). MDPI takes the responsibility to enforce a rigorous peer-review together with strict ethical policies and standards to ensure to add high quality scientific works to the field of scholarly publication. Unfortunately, cases of plagiarism, data falsification, inappropriate authorship credit, and the like, do arise. MDPI takes such publishing ethics issues very seriously and our editors are trained to proceed in such cases with a zero tolerance policy. To verify the originality of content submitted to our journals, we use iThenticate to check submissions against previous publications. MDPI works with Publons to provide reviewers with credit for their work.
Authors and publishers are encouraged to send review copies of their recent related books to the following address. Received books will be listed as Books Received within the journal's News & Announcements section.
Copyright / Open Access
Articles published in Water will be Open-Access articles distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The copyright is retained by the author(s). MDPI will insert the following note at the end of the published text:
Announcements regarding academic activities such as conferences are published for free in the News & Announcements section of the journal. Advertisement can be either published or placed on the pertinent website. Contact e-mail address is . For further MDPI contacts, see here.
Announcement and Advertisement
Announcements regarding academic activities such as conferences are published for free in the News & Announcements section of the journal. Advertisement can be either published or placed on the pertinent website. Contact e-mail address is .
For further MDPI contacts, see here.