Special Issue "Biodiversity Conservation and Sustainable Urban Development"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 December 2019).
Interests: urban ecology; biodiversity conservation; biological invasions
Interests: urban ecology; biodiversity valuation; human–nature interactions
Interests: human–nature relationships; urban nature; conservation; threatened species
Urbanization is a global trend gaining increasing importance for the future of biodiversity. While urban growth threatens biodiversity, cities can also harbour endangered plant and animal species. Understanding the role of urban environments for species of conservation concern and integrating biodiversity into sustainable cities are timely challenges for research and urban planning. We invite studies that aim to increase our understanding of the urban contribution to biodiversity conservation or that envision pathways towards developing or managing biodiverse urban environments.
Contributions to this Special Issue are expected to address:
- The role of urban environments for species, communities, or ecosystems of conservation concern in relation to urbanization, urban land uses, management, and other types of human interference.
- Mechanisms that drive urban biodiversity loss or underpin the survival of species of conservation concern in urban environments.
- The intersection between biodiversity conservation and the valuation and use of urban nature by urban people.
- The integration of biodiversity conservation into sustainable urban development, particularly into urban planning, environmental education and the urban green infrastructure, and into the development, management, or restoration of urban ecosystems.
Prof. Dr. Ingo Kowarik
Prof. Dr. Leonie K. Fischer
Dr. Dave Kendal
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sustainability is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1900 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Biodiversity conservation
- Biodiverse cities
- Green cities
- Greenspace management
- Urban ecology
- Urban green Infrastructure
- Urban planning