A section of Journal of Clinical Medicine (ISSN 2077-0383).
The recent progress in the field of infectious diseases has been remarkable. Many diseases and conditions, including autoimmune diseases, allergy-related diseases, and malignant diseases have been associated with infectious diseases. Bacteria, parasites, and especially viruses can interfere with the host immune system and induce chronic self-perpetuating conditions. Therefore, the study of the pathogenesis of chronic diseases triggered by infectious agents is playing an increasingly important role as the bridge between basic research and clinical practice, and the significance of translational research has been rapidly increasing in recent years.
In clinical practice, the prevention and treatment of viral infections can contribute to reducing and preventing inflammatory chronic disorders, neoplasms, and various other pathologies.
Finally, chronic infections can represent a relevant factor that influences the treatment and management of metabolic, inflammatory, and neoplastic conditions. Guidelines and recommendations from scientific societies are needed to apply the correct approach for handling these patients.
The section “Infectious Diseases” of the Journal of Clinical Medicine aims to publish articles describing research results on microbiology, immunology, epidemiology, and related disciplines on the pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment of infectious diseases, with a particular focus on the role of infections in the pathogenesis of chronic non-infectious conditions as well as on the treatment of infections as comorbidities of chronic conditions.
Hot research topics include, but are not limited to:
- Infectious diseases epidemiology
- Anti-infective therapy and vaccines
- Emerging infectious diseases
- Role of infections in pathogenesis of chronic non-infectious conditions
- Chronic infections as comorbidities of neoplasms or metabolic and inflammatory disorders
- Infectious adverse events of immunosuppressive or anti-neoplastic drugs
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Skin-Gut-Breast Microbiota Axes (Deadline: 31 May 2020)
- Pathological Changes Associated with Congenital Zika Virus Infection (Deadline: 31 July 2020)
- Infective Endocarditis (Deadline: 31 August 2020)
- COVID-19: From Pathophysiology to Clinical Practice (Deadline: 30 September 2020)
- Tuberculosis, Drug and Diagnostics Development (Deadline: 30 November 2020)
- Cryptococcal Meningitis in Africa: Burden, Prevention, and Treatment (Deadline: 15 December 2020)
- Prevention and Treatment of Surgical Site Infections (Deadline: 15 December 2020)
- Recent Advances in Mycobacterial Research (Deadline: 31 December 2020)
- Real Time Clinical and Epidemiological Investigations on Novel Coronavirus (Deadline: 31 December 2020)
- Exosomes Biogenesis, Regulation, and Function in Viral Infections (Deadline: 31 December 2020)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic: Current Knowledge and Future Perspectives (Deadline: 28 February 2021)
- Natural History and Clinical Consequences of Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) Infection (Deadline: 31 March 2021)
- Biomaterials and Advanced Therapies against Virus: How Could They Help Us for Corona Virus Infection? (Deadline: 31 December 2021)