Special Issue "Micromanipulation"
A special issue of Actuators (ISSN 2076-0825).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (5 September 2018)
The demand for high-precision micromanipulation in a large variety of applications has increased during the last few decades, while the development of a feasible and efficient micromanipulator remains a challenge. In fact, at the micro- or nano-scale levels, several paradigms of macro-scale engineering are no longer valid. One of the most central topics is actuation, because the available sources of forces or torques are not able to guarantee a satisfying range for end-effector displacements, and so the mechanical structure of the microsystem must be optimized. Furthermore, micromanipulation is paramount to applications spanning from medicine, surgery or biology, to microelectronics, micromechanics or aerospace.
Contributions from all fields related to micromanipulation are welcome to this Special Issue, particularly the following:
- Micromanipulation: theory, applications, case studies, project reports (horizons, ERC, and C.).
- Microsystems for micromanipulation: design, simulation, fabrication and biocompatibility.
- Actuation: electrostatic, electrothermal, electromagnetic, piezoelectric and C.
- Microelectromechanical systems: lab-on-chip, mechanical–electrical integrated microsystems, ASIC.
- Control: automatic regulation and control of microsystems, operational aspects of micromanipulation.
- Computational intelligence in design and optimization of micromanipulators.
- Ethics: ethical issues in the application of micromanipulation in medical, biological, aerospace and industrial fields.
- Education: new trends in microsystems teaching–learning methods, tinkering, open access, wiki tools.
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Actuators is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 350 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.