The Effectiveness of a CrossFit Training Program for Improving Physical Fitness of Young Judokas: A Pilot Study
2. Materials and Methods
2.1. Experimental Approach to the Problem
2.4. Training Programs
- Push-ups with Tabata method (8 rounds of 20 s of exercise, then 10 s of rest).
- Squats with Tabata method.
- Sit-ups with Tabata method.
- 1 Leg raises on Sweden wall.
- Handstand push-ups (legs on the wall).
- Elevated heels.
- Burpees (21 repetitions, then 15 repetitions, and then 9 repetitions).
- Deep squats (21 repetitions, then 15 repetitions, and then 9 repetitions).
- Sit-ups (21 repetitions, then 15 repetitions, and then 9 repetitions).
3.1. Within Group Comparisons
3.2. Between Group Comparisons
Institutional Review Board Statement
Informed Consent Statement
Data Availability Statement
Conflicts of Interest
- Novikov, A.A. Improving the results of fights in martial arts based on the predominant execution of favorite attacking techniques. Theory Pract. Phys. Cult. 2004, 3, 51–53. [Google Scholar]
- Khomichev, Y.Y.; Tarakanov, B.I. Prospects for the use of multifunctional training (Crossfit) as a means of general physical fitness in the training process of young wrestlers. Sci. Notes Univ. P.F. Lesgafa 2018, 160, 267–271. [Google Scholar]
- Khomichev, Y.Y.; Apoiko, R.N.; Tarakanov, B.I. The effectiveness of the impact of the means of physical training with an accentuated use of CrossFit in the training of young judokas. Sci. Notes Univ. P.F. Lesgafta 2018, 166, 263–269. [Google Scholar]
- Khomichev, Y.Y. Influence of Physical Training Means on the Effectiveness of Training and Competitive Activity of Young Judokas; National State University of Physical Culture, Sports and Health names after P.F. Lesgafta: St. Petersburg, Russia, 2019. [Google Scholar]
- Osipov, A.Y.; Dvorkin, V.M.; Prikhodov, D.S. The use of Crossfit-sessions in the process of training young judokas. Phys. Cult. Sport. Tour. Mot. Recreat. 2019, 4, 85–89. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Osipov, A.Y.; Nagovitsyn, R.S.; Zekrin, F.H.; Fendel, T.V.; Zubkov, D.A.; Zhavner, T.V. Crossfit training impact on the level of special physical fitness of young athletes practicing judo. Sport Mont 2019, 17, 9–12. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Glassman, G. CrossFit Level 1 Training Guide, 3rd ed.; CrossFit Incorporated: Boulder, CO, USA, 2020. [Google Scholar]
- Glubokiy, V.A. CrossFit in the physical training of students of the Siberian Law Institute of the Federal Drug Control Service of Russia. In Proceedings of the Physical Culture, Sports, Tourism: Scientific and Methodological Support: Materials of the All-Russia. Scientific-Practical. Conf. with International Participation, Perm, Russia, 15–16 May 2014; pp. 85–88. [Google Scholar]
- Grublene, N.A.; Epishkin, I.V.; Blonskaya, L.L. Efficiency of using Crossfit training programs to increase the level of physical fitness of students of a Physical Culture University. Uchenye Zap. Univ. Im. P.F. Lesgafta 2017, 2, 50–55. [Google Scholar]
- Kokorev, D.A.; Vyprikov, D.V.; Vezenitsin, O.V.; Bodrov, I.M. The method of using functional all-around (Crossfit) in the process of physical education of students. Theory Pract. Phys. Cult. 2016, 9, 16–18. [Google Scholar]
- Shepeleva, M.I.; Shevtsov, E.V. Improving the level of physical training of university students with modern health technologies (on the example of the Crossfit program). Uchenye Zap. Univ. Im. P.F. Lesgafta 2016, 133, 255–258. [Google Scholar]
- Ziambetov, V.Y. Crossfit as a way to improve the efficiency of physical training of university students. Young Sci. 2016, 111, 1061–1063. [Google Scholar]
- Zinnaturov, A.Z.; Panov, I.I. CrossFit as a direction of improving the process of physical education at the university. News Tula State Univ. Phys. Cult. Sport 2014, 1, 66–70. [Google Scholar]
- Loux, M. How CrossFit Helps Cops Improve Their Physical Health. Available online: https://www.police1.com/health-wellness/articles/how-crossfit-helps-cops-improve-their-physical-health-dvu5pJHhyA3f1mcJ/ (accessed on 5 August 2022).
- Paine, J.; Uptgraft, J.; Wylie, R. CrossFit Study; Command and General Staff College: Fort Leavenworth, KS, USA, 2010. [Google Scholar]
- Haddock, C.K.; Poston, W.S.C.; Heinrich, K.M.; Jahnke, S.A.; Jitnarin, N. The benefits of high-intensity functional training fitness programs for military personnel. Mil. Med. 2016, 181, e1508–e1514. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Emelyanova, Y.N. Crossfit as a system for the development of motor skills in sports games. In Proceedings of the Innovative Technologies in Sports and Physical Education: Materials of the V Interregional Scientific and Practical Conference with International Participation, Moscow, Russia, 21–23 November 2016; pp. 82–88. [Google Scholar]
- Garst, B.A.; Bowers, E.P.; Stephens, L.E. A randomized study of CrossFit Kids for fostering fitness and academic outcomes in middle school students. Eval. Program Plann. 2020, 83, 101856. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Eather, N.; Morgan, P.J.; Lubans, D.R. Effects of exercise on mental health outcomes in adolescents: Findings from the CrossFitTM teens randomized controlled trial. Psychol. Sport Exerc. 2016, 26, 14–23. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Guzhalovsky, A.A. Stages of Development of Physical (Motor) Skills and Problems of Optimizing the Physical Training of Schoolchildren; Belarusian State University of Physical Culture: Minsk, Belarus, 1979. [Google Scholar]
- Guzhalovsky, A.A. The problem of “critical” periods of ontogenesis in its meaning for the theory and practice of physical education. In Essays on the Theory of Physical Culture; Physical Culture and Sport: Moscow, Russia, 1984; pp. 211–223. [Google Scholar]
- Nikitushkin, V.G. Modern Training of Young Athletes; Physical Education and Sport: Moscow, Russia, 2009. [Google Scholar]
- Shestakov, V.B.; Eregina, S.V. Theory and Methodology of Children’s and Youth Judo: A Teaching Aid; OLMA Media Group: St. Petersburg, Russia, 2008. [Google Scholar]
- Platonov, V.N. The System of Training Athletes in Olympic Sports. General Theory and Its Practical Applications: A Textbook for a Highly Qualified Trainer; Soviet Sport: Kyiv, Ukraine, 2005. [Google Scholar]
- Barbaryan, M.S. The Optimization of Training Methodology of Judokas at a Stage of Basic Training; Yerevan State University: Yerevan, Armenia, 2017. [Google Scholar]
- Ministry of Sports of the Russian Federation. Federal Standard of Sports Training for the Sport “Judo”; Ministry of Sports of the Russian Federation: Moscow, Russia, 2017. [Google Scholar]
- Vaytsehovsky, S.M. Coach’s Book: PE and Sport; Physical Education and Sport: Moscow, Russia, 1971. [Google Scholar]
- Karpman, V.L. (Ed.) Sports Medicine: A Textbook for Institutes of Physical Culture; Physical Culture and Sport: Moscow, Russia, 1987. [Google Scholar]
- EVO Fitness Tabata vs. HIIT-What Are the Main Differences between Them? Available online: https://evofitness.ch/tabata-vs-hiit/ (accessed on 8 October 2021).
- MasterClass AMRAP Guide: What Is an AMRAP Workout? Available online: https://www.masterclass.com/articles/amrap-guide#:~:text=AMRAP (accessed on 1 August 2022).
- SET FOR SET What Is a 21-15-9 Workout? 21-15-9 WODS, Benefits & Tips. Available online: https://www.setforset.com/blogs/news/21-15-9-workouts-tips-benefits#:~:text=A (accessed on 8 October 2021).
- Cohen, J. Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, 2nd ed.; Routledge Academic: New York, NY, USA, 1988. [Google Scholar]
- Summitt, R.J.; Cotton, R.A.; Kays, A.C.; Slaven, E.J. Shoulder injuries in individuals who participate in CrossFit training. Sports Health 2016, 8, 541–546. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Hak, P.T.; Hodzovic, E.; Hickey, B. The nature and prevalence of injury during CrossFit training. J. Strength Cond. Res. 2013. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Weisenthal, B.M.; Beck, C.A.; Maloney, M.D.; DeHaven, K.E.; Giordano, B.D. Injury rate and patterns among CrossFit athletes. Orthop. J. Sport. Med. 2014, 2, 2325967114531177. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Everhart, J.S.; Kirven, J.C.; France, T.J.; Hidden, K.; Vasileff, W.K. Rates and treatments of CrossFit-related injuries at a single hospital system. Curr. Orthop. Pract. 2019, 30, 347–352. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Klimek, C.; Ashbeck, C.; Brook, A.J.; Durall, C. Are injuries more common with CrossFit training than other forms of exercise? J. Sport Rehabil. 2018, 27, 295–299. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Claudino, J.G.; Gabbett, T.J.; Bourgeois, F.; Souza, H.d.S.; Miranda, R.C.; Mezêncio, B.; Soncin, R.; Cardoso Filho, C.A.; Bottaro, M.; Hernandez, A.J.; et al. CrossFit overview: Systematic review and meta-analysis. Sport. Med.-Open 2018, 4, 11. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Bergeron, M.F.; Nindl, B.C.; Deuster, P.A.; Baumgartner, N.; Kane, S.F.; Kraemer, W.J.; Sexauer, L.R.; Thompson, W.R.; O’Connor, F.G. Consortium for Health and Military Performance and American College of Sports Medicine consensus paper on extreme conditioning programs in military personnel. Curr. Sports Med. Rep. 2011, 10, 383–389. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Montalvo, A.M.; Shaefer, H.; Rodriguez, B.; Li, T.; Epnere, K.; Myer, G.D. Retrospective injury epidemiology and risk factors for injury in CrossFit. J. Sports Sci. Med. 2017, 16, 53–59. [Google Scholar] [PubMed]
- Hopkins, B.S.; Cloney, M.B.; Kesavabhotla, K.; Yamaguchi, J.; Smith, Z.A.; Koski, T.R.; Hsu, W.K.; Dahdaleh, N.S. Impact of CrossFit-related spinal injuries. Clin. J. Sport Med. 2019, 29, 482–485. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
- Beedie, C.; Benedetti, F.; Barbiani, D.; Camerone, E.; Lindheimer, J.; Roelands, B. Incorporating methods and findings from neuroscience to better understand placebo and nocebo effects in sport. Eur. J. Sport Sci. 2020, 20, 313–325. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef] [PubMed]
(M ± SD)
(M ± SD)
|Pull-ups (repetitions)||4.6 ± 3.6||6.1 ± 4.8||−0.31, 1.15||0.43|
|Push-ups (repetitions in 10 s)||15.9 ± 4.0||20.0 ± 3.4 *||0.89, 1.79||0.96|
|Leg raises on Sweden wall (repetitions)||12.0 ± 1.03||19.0 ± 2.80 **||0.34, 2.03||1.34|
|Long jump (cm)||173.9 ± 14.0||178.1 ± 17.3||−0.34, 1.11||0.40|
|Shuttle run (s)||12.0 ± 0.5||10.5 ± 0.7 ***||−4.59, −1.27||2.94|
|Squats (repetitions in 60 s)||52.1 ± 3.1||53.8 ± 11.6||−0.55, 0.85||0.15|
|Burpees (repetitions in 30 s)||12.0 ± 1.6 a||13.6 ± 1.1 a||−0.01, 1.79||0.92|
(M ± SD)
(M ± SD)
|Pull-ups (repetitions)||5.7 ± 5.0||5.3 ± 5.4||−0.77, 0.54||0.12|
|Push-ups (repetitions in 10 s)||21.1 ± 3.2||18.1 ± 3.6||−1.43, 0.05||0.71|
|Leg raises on Sweden wall (repetitions)||11.9 ± 6.1||13.1 ± 7.2||−0.42, 0.91||0.25|
|Long jump (cm)||168.9 ± 14.8||174.0 ± 17.1||−0.11, 1.33||0.62|
|Shuttle run (s)||11.7 ± 0.5||10.4 ± 0.5 ***||−4.94, −1.55||3.26|
|Squats (repetitions in 60 s)||58.9 ± 5.7||58.3 ± 8.9||−0.73, 0.58||0.08|
|Burpees (repetitions in 30 s)||12.0 ± 1.6||13.6 ± 1.1||−1.24, 0.17||0.92|
|Exercises||Experimental Group||Control Group|
|O Soto Gari||29.5 ± 3.9||22.7 ± 3.0 **||28.9 ± 3.8||27.0 ± 4.6|
|O Goshi||29.0 ± 4.8||25.0 ± 3.8 *||28.6 ± 5.0||28.9 ± 2.6|
Publisher’s Note: MDPI stays neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
© 2022 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Avetisyan, A.V.; Chatinyan, A.A.; Streetman, A.E.; Heinrich, K.M. The Effectiveness of a CrossFit Training Program for Improving Physical Fitness of Young Judokas: A Pilot Study. J. Funct. Morphol. Kinesiol. 2022, 7, 83. https://doi.org/10.3390/jfmk7040083
Avetisyan AV, Chatinyan AA, Streetman AE, Heinrich KM. The Effectiveness of a CrossFit Training Program for Improving Physical Fitness of Young Judokas: A Pilot Study. Journal of Functional Morphology and Kinesiology. 2022; 7(4):83. https://doi.org/10.3390/jfmk7040083Chicago/Turabian Style
Avetisyan, Arman V., Ashot A. Chatinyan, Aspen E. Streetman, and Katie M. Heinrich. 2022. "The Effectiveness of a CrossFit Training Program for Improving Physical Fitness of Young Judokas: A Pilot Study" Journal of Functional Morphology and Kinesiology 7, no. 4: 83. https://doi.org/10.3390/jfmk7040083