Special Issue "Feature Papers for Smart Cities"
A special issue of Smart Cities (ISSN 2624-6511).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 March 2021).
2. Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering Science, University of Johannesburg, Johannesburg 2024, South Africa
Interests: power systems; control systems; power electronics; smart grids; energy management; power stability; power conversion; grid integration; microgrids optimization
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
Special Issue in Applied Sciences: Developing and Implementing Smart Grids: Novel Technologies, Techniques and Models
Special Issue in Energies: Distribution System Operation and Control
Special Issue in Applied Sciences: Energy Management and Smart Grids
Special Issue in Energies: Advanced Approaches, Business Models, and Novel Techniques for Management and Control of Smart Grids
Special Issue in Energies: Intelligent Energy Systems
Special Issue in Applied Sciences: Advances and Technologies in High Voltage Power Systems Operation, Control, Protection and Security
Special Issue in Applied Sciences: Low Carbon Technologies for Sustainable Environment
Special Issue in Applied Sciences: Advances and Trends in Smart Grids and Microgrids: Operation, Control, Protection, and Security
Special Issue in Sustainability: Sustainable Smart Grids and Microgrids: Operation, Control, Protection and Security
Special Issue in Smart Cities: Defining and Debating on Smart Cities or Smart Buildings
Special Issue in Applied Sciences: Smart Energy Systems and Technologies
Special Issue in Energies: Advances and Trends in Smart Energy Communities
Special Issue in Applied Sciences: Advanced Applications of Computer Science and AI in Smart Cities and Societies
Special Issue in Energies: Selected Papers from 7th Iran Wind Energy Conference (IWEC 2021)
Special Issue in Processes: Clean Energy – Today’ Processes and Systems for Tomorrow
Special Issue in Energies: Advances in Smart Power System and Energy Internet
Special Issue in Electronics: Operation and Control of Power Systems
Topical Collection in Energies: Young Researchers in Electrical Power and Energy System
Special Issue in Smart Cities: Computer Science and AI Applications for Smart Energy Communities and Smart Cities
Special Issue in Energies: Predictive Control: A Modernized Control Approach for High Performance Electrical Energy Systems (Theory and Practice)
Topics: Innovative Techniques for Smart Grids
This Special Issue will collect and highlight recent work in smart cities. We are inviting reviews, regular research papers (articles), and communications in all areas of research concerning smart cities. Topics include, but are not limited to the following:
- Electrical engineering for smart cities: smart grids, smart buildings, smart homes, smart lighting, renewable energies, and power electronics for smart cities.
- Computer engineering and information technology engineering for smart cities: ICT infrastructure and information management in smart cities, IoT architectures, protocols, and algorithms, IoT device technologies, IoT network technologies, cloud computing, autonomic computing, data management, intelligent data processing, and big data management for smart cities, real-time, and semantic web services, context-aware systems for smart cities.
- Cyber-physical systems for smart cities.
- Virtual reality for smart cities.
- Smart hospitals and health informatics for smart cities: smart health, e-health, digital health, telehealth, telemedicine.
- Transport and mobility: intelligent transportation systems and vehicular networks, smart mobility, smart parking, traffic congestion, city logistics, people mobility.
- Electronics, telecommunication, and measurements engineering for smart cities: networks and communications, advances in smart grid sensing, sensor interface, and synchronization in smart grids, multisensor data fusion models for smart grids and smart cities, traceability and calibration of distributed sensing grids, distributed and networked sensors for smart cities, wireless sensor networks, embedded sensing and actuating, radio frequency identification (RFID), mobile internet, ubiquitous sensing.
- Civil engineering for smart cities: smart city architecture and infrastructure, environmental engineering for smart cities, smart water management, sustainable districts and urban development, waste management for smart cities, smart agriculture, greenhouses.
- Weather analysis, forecasting, reporting, and flood management for smart cities.
- Mechanical sciences and automobile engineering for smart cities.
- Applied science and humanities for smart cities.
- Retail for smart cities: supply chain control, NFC Payment, intelligent shopping applications, smart product management, etc.
- Security, privacy, and emergencies in smart cities, cryptography, identity management.
- Smart living: pollution control, public safety, healthcare, welfare and social innovation, culture, public spaces.
- Smart urban governance and e-government for smart cities
- Business and social issues for smart cities: smart economy and business model innovation in smart cities, marketing strategies for firms offering new services in smart cities
- Experimentation and deployments: real solutions, system design, modeling and evaluation for smart cities, pilot deployments, performance evaluation
- Trends and challenges in smart cities
- Intelligent transportation systems, multimodal traffic to improve mobility
- Industry 4.0 challenges and opportunities in smart city/smart region development
Manuscripts for this important Special Issue of Smart Cities will be accepted by the editorial office, Editor-in-Chief, and editorial board members by invitation only. All the papers in this Special Issue will be published as free of charge.
- All submissions will be rigorously reviewed according to the Smart Cities journal guidelines.
- Manuscripts that are not suitable for this Special Issue will be notified as soon as after consultation with the editorial board members. Authors of these manuscripts may still consider submitting to Smart Cities as a regular paper. Other manuscripts will be forwarded for review.
- Manuscripts that are not selected as feature papers will be notified after the first round of reviews. The selection will be based on the review. Authors of those manuscripts that are not selected for the Special Issue may decide to revise and submit as a regular paper. Please note that authors of these manuscripts need to shoulder the publication fees.
- Other manuscripts will be sent for a second round of reviews. However, this does not necessarily mean that a manuscript under the second round of reviews will be published as a feature paper. We will still seek comments and suggestions from reviewers.
Please contact Traey Wu ([email protected]), the managing editor, if you have any questions.
Prof. Dr. Pierluigi Siano
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Smart Cities is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1200 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.