Special Issue "Sensors in Agriculture 2019"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 December 2019).
Interests: mountain biking; youth mountain biking; injury surveillance system; youth sports; COVID-19; national interscholastic cycling association; sports epidemiology; injury prevention
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Special Issue in Sensors: Sensors in Agriculture
Special Issue in Sensors: Sensors in Agriculture 2018
Special Issue in Remote Sensing: Spectroscopic Analysis of Plants and Vegetation
Special Issue in Sensors: Sensors in Agriculture 2020
Special Issue in Sensors: Machine Learning in Agriculture
Special Issue in Sensors: Sensors in Agriculture 2021
Agriculture requires technical solutions for increasing production while reducing environmental impact by reducing the application of agro-chemicals and increasing the use of environmentally-friendly management practices. A benefit of this is the reduction of production costs. Sensor technologies produce tools to achieve the abovementioned goals. The explosive technological advances and developments in recent years have enormously facilitated the attainment of these objectives removing many barriers for their implementation, including the reservations expressed by farmers. Precision agriculture is an emerging area where sensor-based technologies play an important role.
Farmers, researchers, and technical manufacturers are joining their efforts to find efficient solutions, improvements in production, and reductions in costs. This Special Issue aims to bring together recent research and developments concerning novel sensors and their applications in agriculture. Sensors in agriculture are based on the requirements of farmers, according to the farming operations that need to be addressed. Papers addressing sensor development for a wide range of agricultural tasks, including, but not limited to, recent research and developments in the following areas are expected:
- Optical sensors: Hyperspectral, multispectral, fluorescence and thermal sensing
- Sensors for crop health status determination
- Sensors for crop phenotyping, germination, emergence and determination of the different growth stages of crops
- Sensors for detection of microorganism and pest management
- Airborne sensors (UAV)
- Multisensor systems, sensor fusion
- Non-destructive soil sensing
- Yield estimation and prediction
- Detection and identification of crops and weeds
- Sensors for detection of fruits
- Sensors for fruit quality determination
- Sensors for weed control
- Volatile components detection, electronic noses and tongues
- Sensors for robot navigation, localization and mapping and environmental awareness
- Sensors for robotic applications in crop management
- Sensors for positioning, navigation and obstacle detection
- Sensor networks in agriculture, wearable sensors, the Internet of Things
- Low energy, disposable and energy harvesting sensors in agriculture
- Deep learning from sensor data in agriculture
Prof. Dr. Dimitrios Moshou
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sensors is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2200 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.