Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Lightwave Communications and Optical Networks"
A special issue of Photonics (ISSN 2304-6732).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (14 December 2018).
Prof. Dr. Luca Potì Website E-Mail
Consorzio Nazionale Interuniversitario per le Telecomunicazioni - CNIT, Via Moruzzi 1, 56124 Pisa, Italy
Interests: Optical Communications and Networks; High Capacity Systems; Quantum Communications; Photonic Integrated Circuits; Optical Networks Field Trials
Lightwave communications and optical networks have played a key role in the development of the Internet and services. Nowadays, with the advent of 5G philosophy and technologies, and new concepts such as the Internet of Things and Industry 4.0, optical communications represents a reliable and consolidated infrastructure that needs to evolve in order to fulfill new requirements. Network segments are even changing dynamically and optical communications get closer to radio access. Concepts such as power consumption, flexibility, interoperability, security, adaptation, machine learning, and cloud computing will drive the evolution of network, services, business, and lifestyle.
This Special Issue of Photonics will focus on new research results and practical solutions in the field of “Lightwave Communications and Optical Networks”, and solicits contributions in, but not limited to:
- Multimode and multicore fiber and fiber amplifiers for spatial division multiplexing
- Quantum communication systems and networks
- Modelling, design, and implementation of digital signal processing for long-haul, medium- and short-range optical communication systems
- Line terminals, optical transmitter and receiver subsystems for advanced modulation formats and increased speed and/or capacity
- Optical performance monitoring techniques and subsystems
- Lab and field implementation of optical fibre transmission links and networks
- Satellite communication links
- Capacity, reach, flexibility limits of optical transmission systems and solutions to overcome the current limitations
- Machine learning for optical signal processing
- Microwave Photonics Subsystems for 5G, e.g., optical beamforming, opto-eletronic oscillators, clock distribution, photonics-based RF signal up- and down- conversion, photonics-based RF filtering
- Millimeter-wave and Terahertz photonics
- Architecture and control of data center and HPCS (High Performance Computing System)
- Control, orchestration, and management functions, as well as integration with higher layer network services
- Machine learning and artificial intelligence for advanced networking and monitoring
- Design of high connectivity contentionless node architectures, including protection and failure recovery
- Optical backhaul/fronthaul networks
- Photonics for Cloud services
- Convergence of optical and wireless networks
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Photonics is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.