Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Silicon Photonics Bloom"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 April 2019).
Interests: silicon photonics; integrated optics; microwave photonics; optical communication systems
The open access journal Micromachines invites manuscript submissions for the Special Issue “Silicon Photonics Bloom”. The past two decades have witnessed a tremendous growth of silicon photonics. Lab-scale research on simple passive component designs is now being expanded by on-chip hybrid systems architectures. With the recent injection of government and private funding, we are living the 1980s of the electronic industry, when the first merchant foundries were established. Soon, we will see more and more merchant foundries proposing well-established electronic design tools, product development kits, and mature component libraries. The open access journal Micromachines invites the submission of manuscripts in the developing area of silicon photonics. The goal of this Special Issue is to highlight the recent developments in this cutting-edge technology. Areas of interest include, but are not limited to, the following sub-categories:
- Optoelectronic integration
- New silicon and silicon nitride active and passive component designs
- Novel light sources on silicon platforms
- High-speed detectors for silicon photonics
- High-Q resonators
- New fabrication techniques
- Hybrid integration of silicon with other semiconductors or solid state crystals
- Silicon-based high-speed modulators
- Silicon-based short-distance optical communication systems and architectures
- Beam-steering and beam-shaping architectures
- Silicon-based RF compared to fiber or microwave photonics
- Silicon-based biophotonics
- Novel integrated sensors
- Silicon photonics for space applications
- Niche applications of silicon photonics
Dr. Ozdal Boyraz
Dr. Qiancheng Zhao
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Micromachines is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1400 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Silicon photonics
- Photonic-integrated circuits
- Silicon photodetectors
- Planar phased-array antennas
- Silicon beam-steering devices
- Photonic optomechanics
- Hybrid photonic-integrated circuits
- Opto-electronic integration