Obstetrics and Gynecology
A section of Medicina (ISSN 1010-660X).
“Obstetrics and Gynecology” is a medical specialty that includes two different subspecialties devoted to the medical and surgical care of the female reproductive system and associated disorders. Obstetrics covers pregnancy, delivery, and the postpartum period (maternal–fetal medicine). Gynecology covers benign and malignant diseases of the vagina, uterus, fallopian tubes, and ovaries, and also includes the diagnosis and treatment of infertility, family planning (including contraception and pregnancy termination), sexual medicine, pediatric and adolescent gynecology, and menopausal gynecology. Most obstetrician–gynecologists are generalists and see a variety of medical conditions in the office, perform surgery, and manage labor and delivery. These physicians usually perform both diagnostic procedures (not only by office ultrasound but also by hysteroscopy or colposcopy) and treatments (either medical or surgical). As a consequence, obstetrician–gynecologists require both a broad field of knowledge and procedural skills.
Some obstetrician–gynecologists develop an interest in one of the following fields: gynecologic oncology, reproductive endocrinology and infertility, maternal fetal medicine, and female pelvic medicine and reconstructive surgery.
The section “Obstetrics and Gynecology” of the journal Medicina is devoted to the propagation of novel findings and state-of-the-art knowledge in the field of obstetrics and gynecology. Its primary aim is to advance the knowledge of high-quality care.
Following special issues within this section are currently open for submissions:
- Sperm Cryopreservation and Sperm Banking (Deadline: 31 December 2020)
- Clinical Practice in Assisted Reproduction: Reporting Back to the Practitioner on Established Practices and Novel Approaches (Deadline: 31 December 2020)
- Clinical Manifestations and Treatment of Endometriosis (Deadline: 31 December 2020)
- Placenta: Anatomopathological Examination, Biology, Immunological Features, Role in Guiding Fetal Development, Imaging and Placental Invasion Abnormalities (Deadline: 31 December 2020)
- Pregnancy: Diagnosis, Misdiagnosis, Complications and Outcomes (Deadline: 31 December 2020)
- Pathogenesis, Diagnosis, Medical and Surgical Treatment of Uterine Fibroids (Deadline: 31 December 2020)
- Premature Birth: Research, Intervention, and Results (Deadline: 31 March 2021)
- Diagnosis, Prevention and Treatment for Diseases Specific to Women (Deadline: 31 March 2021)
- Pathogenesis, Diagnosis, and Treatment of Preterm Delivery (Deadline: 1 April 2021)
- Minimally Invasive and Fertility-Sparing Treatment of Gynecological Cancers (Deadline: 1 April 2021)
- New Perspectives on Targeted Therapy in Ovarian Cancer (Deadline: 30 April 2021)
- Current Trends in Prenatal Medicine: Research and Care (Deadline: 1 July 2021)