Special Issue "Advanced Techniques for Design and Manufacturing in Marine Engineering"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 30 April 2021.
Interests: CAD; yacht design; CFD; optimization techniques; virtual reality
Interests: marine engineering; FEM; topology optimization; additive manufacturing
Modern engineering design processes are driven by an extensive use of numerical simulations, and naval architecture and ocean engineering are no exception. Since computational power has been improved over the last few decades, the integration of different tools such as CAD, FEM, CFD, and CAM allows complex modeling and manufacturing problems to be solved in a more feasible way. Classical naval design methodology can take advantage of this integration, giving rise to a more robust design in terms of shape, structural and hydrodynamic performances, and manufacturing process.
This Special Issue aims to invite researchers and engineers from both academia and industry to publish the latest progress of design and manufacturing techniques in marine engineering and to debate about current issues and future perspectives in this research area. Suitable topics for this issue include but are not limited to the following:
- CAD-based approaches to design hull and appendages of sailing and engine boats and comparison with traditional techniques;
- Finite element method applications to predict structural performances of the whole boat or of a portion of it with particular attention to the modeling of the material used;
- Embedded measurement systems for structural health monitoring;
- Determination of hydrodynamic efficiency using experimental, numerical or semi-empiric methods for displacement and planning hulls;
- Topology optimization techniques to overcome traditional scantling criteria based on international standards;
- Application of additive manufacturing to obtain innovative shapes for internal reinforcements or sandwich hull structure.
Prof. Dr. Antonio Mancuso
Prof. Dr. Davide Tumino
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- CAE tools
- yacht design
- additive manufacturing
- structural health monitoring