Special Issue "Sustainable Development and Higher Education Institutions: Acting with a purpose"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (1 December 2018).
A printed edition of this Special Issue is available here.
Interests: sustainable development; assessment methods; life cycle assessment; sustainable development in higher education; environmental policy
Interests: sustainable development; multi-disciplinary innovation; campus as living labs; circular economy; additive manufacturing for sustainability; hydrogen economy; triple helix models; sustainability implementation tools
Interests: sustainable development; sustainable development goals; urban sustainable development; organizational change management for sustainability; urban metabolism; sustainable mobility; circular economy; campus as living lab; big data for sustainability
Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) have a unique role and responsibility for the future and for driving the development of a sustainable society. HEIs are charged with the task of fostering sustainability in the leaders of tomorrow, developing solutions and methods to address a sustainable future and ensuring that we contribute knowledge to society. HEIs must also ensure that our everyday operations and practices are consistent with a sustainable future and we work to holistically integrate sustainability into mission of the university and our daily tasks. We welcome papers that are related to all aspects of Sustainability and Higher Education Institutions and that show innovation in approach, outcomes and/or impact. We encourage papers that describe experiences broader than their own university. Possible topics for papers submission include, but are not limited to:
- Promoting education for sustainable development
- Promoting research for sustainable development
- Implementing the Sustainable Development Goals on campus
- Collaboration and knowledge sharing
- Student engagement
- Strategic partnerships for societal impact
- Sustainable meeting solutions: Examples of how Higher Education Institutes reduce their own impacts using mediated reality and technology for travel-free meetings?
- Gender, Diversity and Representation: Higher Education Institutes and Sustainable Development
- The role of investment in supporting Sustainable Development
- Campus operations, Campus Facilities and Campus development
- Campus as Living Lab—education, research and collaboration in campus projects
- Challenge driven education for global sustainable development
- Incentives for integrating Sustainable Development in Higher Education Institutes- including Major university excellence ranking and rating organizations.
- Measuring and monitoring sustainability on our campuses and in our cities
This special issue will present papers from the 2018 International Sustainable Campus Network Conference in June 11–13, 2018. (https://www.international-sustainable-campus-network.org/conferences/stockholm-2018) but welcomes also other relevant papers. All papers will be peer-reviewed. We encourage early submission. Papers are published when they have been accepted so papers that are submitted early (e.g. before March 1, 2018) can after review be published at the time of the conference for increased exposure.
Prof. Dr. Göran Finnveden
Dr. Leendert Verhoef
Dr. Julie Newman
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sustainability is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1900 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Education for sustainable development
- Sustainable Development Goals and Universities
- Sustainable meeting solutions
- Gender equality and universities
- Campus operations
- Challenge driven education for sustainable development
- Universities as living labs