Special Issue "Design and System Integration of Thermal Energy Storage"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (28 February 2021).
Interests: thermal energy conversion and storage; renewable energy; renewables system integration; HVAC systems; sorption systems; heat pumps; thermal energy storage; hybrid systems; polygeneration systems; energy system simulation
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Special Issue in Thermo: Hybrid Energy Recovery, Storage and Utilization in Buildings and Industrial Applications
Interests: energy efficiency in buildings; thermal energy storage; thermal comfort and occupants behavior; energy simulation of buildings; urban energy simulation; optimization of energy systems; demand-side management (DSM); renewable energy; HVAC systems; building automation and smart control; natural ventilation and hybrid systems
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
The worldwide commitment towards cleaner development by scaling down hazardous carbon emissions to avoid dangerous climate change calls for solutions that allow for the exploitation of renewable energy sources, and waste heat streams, reducing the energy consumption of systems in residential and industrial sectors. On the other hand, increasing human thermal comfort in micro and macro environments is of critical importance and requires innovative and advanced technologies.
One of the enabling technologies in this view is thermal energy storage (TES), which represents an essential component in a system architecture devoted to the maximisation of the share of renewables and energy efficiency. The intense research devoted to TES has led to the commercialization of different solutions, as well as the advancement of several TES systems for the most various applications from lab-scale towards full-scale real applications.
This Special Issue intends to provide a forum for the dissemination of works that provide an insight into the design process of TES, as well as its integration in different systems, from domestic to industrial to transportation sectors, setting the path towards the advancement of the field and its harmonization with the overall energy system sector.
To this aim, we encourage works from both industry and academia focusing on but not limited to the following topics:
- Design methodologies for TES;
- Numerical simulation and optimisation techniques;
- Data analytics and artificial intelligence (AI) for TES applications ;
- Active TES systems;
- Passive TES systems;
- Application of TES in the residential sector;
- Application of TES in the industrial sector;
- Thermal energy storage for electronics and power devices;
- Thermal energy storage application in vehicles;
- Thermal energy storage applications for aircraft applications;
- Thermal energy storage for aerospace applications;
- Development of control strategies for TES;
- Life cycle analysis of energy systems with TES;
- Thermal storage for human thermoregulation and clothing;
- Thermal energy storage for demand response;
- Thermal energy storage for grid applications;
- Thermal energy storage for renewable energy integration;
- Thermal energy storage for urban heat island (UHI) mitigation;
- Thermal energy storage for sustainable communities;
- Thermal energy storage for district heating and cooling applications;
- Thermal energy storage for data center application.
Dr. Mohammad Saffari
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Applied Sciences is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Storage design
- Storage systems
- Integration with energy systems
- Heating and cooling
- Grid integration
- Measurement and simulation methods
- Renewable energy