Special Issue "Recent Advances in Pig Nutrition"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 30 November 2019
Prof. Carlo Corino
Dipartimento di Scienze Veterinarie per la Salute, la Produzione Animale e la Sicurezza Alimentare, Università degli Studi di Milano, Italy
Website | E-Mail
Interests: Animal Nutrition, Nutrition and immunity, Nutrition and meat quality, Meat quality, Monogastric nutrition, Pig nutrition, Fats and CLA in pig nutrition
Pork meat is the primary food source of meat for EU citizens. The number of pigs reared is 150 million heads, for a production of 23,4 mil tons (2017). Pig farms have become progressively larger and are concentrated in specific areas of production (e.g. Lombardy, IT, and Britanny, FR) with consequent health and environmental impact risks. A correct and balanced diet is necessary to guarantee the production of quality and healthy meat. The aim of this Special Issue is to publish high-quality manuscripts on the current state of the art concerning the interrelations between nutrition, metabolism, microbiota and the health of pigs. Therefore, this Special Issue welcomes submissions, including reviews or original research studies, on pig nutrition regarding (but not limited to):
1. Nutrient requirements of pigs
- energy requirements of pigs and energy content of pig feed
- amino acid requirements of pigs and amino acid availability in pig diets
- mineral and trace element requirements of pigs
- vitamin requirements of pigs and extra-nutritional function of vitamins
2. Nutritional strategies to reduce the use of antibiotics,
- microbiota management,
- improvement of gut integrity,
- functional additives for gut health
3. Soybean meal replacers as alternative sources of amino acid for pigs
4. Palatability in pigs
5. Mycotoxin risk management
6. The impact of feeding pigs on environmental impacts
7. Nutrition and pork quality
Prof. Carlo Corino
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Animals is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- nutrient requirements of pigs
- microbiota management
- improvement of gut integrity, soybean meal replacers
- palatability in pigs
- mycotoxins risk management
- environmental impacts
- nutrition and pork quality