The Influence of Christian Nationalism on U.S. Public Educators’ Speech: Implications from Meriwether vs. Hartop
2. U.S. Legal Context
2.1. Constitutional Law
2.2. U.S. Federal Supreme and Appeals Court Cases
“We need not, and for that reason do not, decide whether the analysis we conduct today would apply in the same manner to a case involving speech related to scholarship or teaching”.(Garcetti 2006, 425)
2.3. Meriwether vs. Hartop et al.
2.3.2. Court’s Ruling and Reasoning
2.3.3. Implications of the Court’s Finding
3. Socio-Political Milieu of Christian Nationalism
3.1. The Increasing Visibility and Power of Christian Nationalism
Ground zero for these attacks on religion are the schools. To me, this is the most serious challenge to religious liberty. For anyone who has a religious faith, by far the most important part of exercising that faith is the teaching of that religion to our children. The passing on of the faith. There is no greater gift we can give our children and no greater expression of love. For the government to interfere in that process is a monstrous invasion of religious liberty.(emphasis added; Barr 2019)
3.2. The Constitutional Shift
4. Workplace and Classroom Implications for Educators in Light of Meriwether and Christian Nationalism
4.1. Checking for Bias
4.2. Markers of Discrimination
4.3. Freedoms Rationed
4.4. Citing Privilege
Institutional Review Board Statement
Informed Consent Statement
Data Availability Statement
Conflicts of Interest
Primary SourcesMichael S. Adams v. The Trustees of the University of North Carolina—Wilmington, et al. 2011. 640 F.3d 550 (4th Cir. 2011).Board of Airport Commissioners v. Jews for Jesus. 1987. 492 U.S. 569 (1987).Westside Community Board of Education v. Mergens. 1990. 496 U.S. 226 (1990).Teresa Buchanan v. F. King Alexander; et al. 2019. 919 F.3d 847 (5th Cir. 2019).Capitol Square Review & Advisory Board v. Pinette. 1995. 515 U.S. 753 (1995).David K. Demers v. Erica Austin; et al. 2014. 746 F.3d 402 (9th Cir. 2014).Gil Garcetti et al. v. Richard Ceballos. 2006. 547 U.S. 410 (2006).Gavin Grimm v. Gloucester County School Board. 2020. 972 F.3d 596 (4th Cir. 2020).Bradley R. Johnson v. Poway Unified School District; et al. 2011. 658 F.3d 954 (9th Cir. 2011).Lee v. Weisman. 1992. 505 U.S. 577 (1992).Joseph Matal v. Simon Shiao Tam. 2017. 137 S.Ct. 1744 (2017).Meriwether v. Hartop et al. 2021. 992 F.3d 492 (6th Cir. 2021).Marvin L. Pickering v. Board of Education of Township High School District 205. 1968. 391 U.S. 563 (1968).Pleasant Grove City v. Summum. 2009. 555 U.S. 460 (2009).Roberts v. Madigan. 1990. 921 F.2d 1047 (10th Cir. 1990).Ronald W. Rosenberger; et al. v. Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia et al. 1995. 515 U.S. 819 (1995).Widmar v. Vincent. 1981. 454 U.S. 263 (1981).
- Altman, Andrew. 2011. Discrimination. Available online: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/discrimination/#IndDisReaDis (accessed on 1 August 2021).
- Balmer, Randall, Kate Bowler, Anthea Butler, Maura Jane Farrelly, Wes Markofski, Robert Orsi, Jerry Z. Park, James Clark Davidson, Matthew Avery Sutton, and Grace Yukich. 2017. Forum: Studying Religion in the Age of Trump. Religion and American Culture 27: 2–56. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Barr, William P. 2019. Remarks to the Law School and the de Nicola Center for Ethics and Culture at the University of Notre Dame. United States Department of Justice. October 14. Available online: https://www.justice.gov/opa/speech/attorney-general-william-p-barr-delivers-remarks-law-school-and-de-nicola-center-ethics (accessed on 15 August 2021).
- Berg, Thomas C. 1995. Church-State Relations and the Social Ethics of Reinhold Niebuhr. North Carolina Law Review 73: 1567–639. [Google Scholar]
- Boso, Luke A. 2021. Anti-LGBT Free Speech and Group Subordination. Arizona Law Review 63: 341–97. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Burress, Charles. 2008. Fight over Alameda GOP Seats Heading to Court. SFGATE. October 26. Available online: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Fight-over-Alameda-GOP-seats-heading-to-court-3264314.php (accessed on 10 August 2021).
- Butler, Anthea D. 2012. From Republican Party to Republican Religion: The New Political Evangelists of the Right. Political Theology 13: 634–51. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Butler, Anthea. 2021. White Evangelical Racism: The Politics of Morality in America. Chapel Hill: UNC Press Books. [Google Scholar]
- Clarke, Jessica A. 2019. They, them, and theirs. Harvard Law Review 132: 894–991. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Clarkson, Frederick. 2016. Dominionism Rising. Political Research Associates. Available online: https://www.politicalresearch.org/2016/08/18/dominionism-rising-a-theocratic-movement-hiding-in-plain-sight (accessed on 24 July 2021).
- Clarkson, Frederick. 2018. ‘Project Blitz’ Seeks to Do for Christian Nationalism What ALEC Does for Big Business. Religion Dispatches. April 27. Available online: https://religiondispatches.org/project-blitz-seeks-to-do-for-christian-nationalism-what-alec-does-for-big-business/ (accessed on 24 July 2021).
- Davidai, Shai, and Martino Ongis. 2019. The Politics of Zero-Sum Thinking: The Relationship Between Political Ideology and the Belief that Life is a Zero-Sum Game. Science Advances 5: no. 12. Available online: https://www.science.org/doi/pdf/10.1126/sciadv.aay3761 (accessed on 15 July 2021). [CrossRef][Green Version]
- Eberhardt, Jennifer L. 2020. Biased: Uncovering the Hidden Prejudice that Shapes What We See, Think, and Do. London: Penguin Books. [Google Scholar]
- Embattled Washington Rep. Matt Shea Is Skirting State Law to Funnel Campaign Funds to Far-Right Groups. n.d. Southern Poverty Law Center. Available online: https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2018/12/07/embattled-washington-rep-matt-shea-skirting-state-law-funnel-campaign-funds-far-right (accessed on 4 July 2021).
- Far-Right Survivalist and Icon of ‘Patriot’ Movement Predicts Religious Civil War. n.d. Southern Poverty Law Center. Available online: https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2019/01/03/far-right-survivalist-and-icon-patriot-movement-predicts-religious-civil-war (accessed on 4 July 2021).
- Feldman, Matthew. 2021. Christianism: The Elephant in the Extremism Room. Fair Observer. July 1. Available online: https://www.fairobserver.com/politics/matthew-feldman-religious-extremism-christianity-history-violence-christianism-news-37281/ (accessed on 24 July 2021).
- Gey, Steven G. 2000. When is Religious Speech not “Free Speech”? University of Illinois Law Review 2000: 379–460. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Gorski, Philip. 2021. White Christian Nationalism: The Deep Story Behind the Capitol Insurrection. Berkley Forum. January 22. Available online: https://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu/responses/white-christian-nationalism-the-deep-story-behind-the-capitol-insurrection (accessed on 30 July 2021).
- Green, Steven K. 2015. Inventing a Christian America: The Myth of the Religious Founding. Oxford: Oxford University Press. [Google Scholar]
- Green, Steven K. 2021. The Legal Ramifications of Christian Nationalism. Roger Williams University Law Review 2021: 430–94. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Hubbard, Lea, and Hugh Mehan. 1999. Race and Reform: Educational “Niche Picking” in a Hostile Environment. The Journal of Negro Education 68: 213–26. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Hudson, Andrew. 2015. What’s in a Name. CR80 News. Available online: https://www.cr80news.com/news-item/whats-in-a-name/ (accessed on 3 July 2021).
- Ingersoll, Julie J. 2015. Building God’s Kingdom: Inside the World of Christian Reconstruction, 1st ed. New York: Oxford University Press. [Google Scholar]
- Jenkins, Jack. 2021. For Insurrectionists, a Violent Faith Brewed from Nationalism, Conspiracies and Jesus. Religion News Service. January 12. Available online: https://religionnews.com/2021/01/12/the-faith-of-the-insurrectionists/ (accessed on 30 July 2021).
- Johnson, Craig A. n.d. When Christ and Trump Are Kings. Available online: https://divinity.uchicago.edu/sightings/articles/when-christ-and-trump-are-kings (accessed on 4 July 2021).
- Kelaidis, Katherine. 2016. How Orthodox Christianity Became the Spiritual Home of White Nationalism. Religion Dispatches. November 30. Available online: https://religiondispatches.org/how-orthodox-christianity-became-the-spiritual-home-of-white-nationalism/ (accessed on 24 July 2021).
- LaHaye, Tim. 1987. Faith of our Founding Fathers. Green Forest: Master Books. [Google Scholar]
- Leviter, Lee. 2020. The Myth of Christian Innocence Reinforces Anti-Semitism. Sojourners. April 30. Available online: https://sojo.net/articles/myth-christian-innocence-reinforces-anti-semitism (accessed on 30 July 2021).
- Moss, Candida. 2018. How Bigots Easily Exploit the Bible for Anti-Semitism. The Daily Beast. October 30. Available online: https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-bigots-easily-exploit-the-bible-for-anti-semitism (accessed on 30 July 2021).
- Nagle, Angela. 2017. Kill All Normies: Online Culture Wars From 4Chan and Tumblr To Trump and The Alt-Right. Hampshire: John Hunt Publishing. [Google Scholar]
- Norton, Helen. 2009. Constraining Public Employee Speech: Government’s Control of its Workers Speech to Protect its Own Expression. Duke Law Journal 2009: 1–68. [Google Scholar]
- Paul, Joshua. 2021. ‘Because for Us, as Europeans, It Is Only Normal Again When We Are Great Again’: Metapolitical Whiteness and the Normalization of White Supremacist Discourse in the Wake of Trump. Ethnic and Racial Studies 44: 2328–2349. [Google Scholar] [CrossRef]
- Perry, Samuel L., Andrew L. Whitehead, and Joshua T. Davis. n.d. Nationalism Shapes Americans’ Views about Police (Mis)Treatment of Blacks. Sociology of Race and Ethnicity 17: 130–46.
- Porter, Michael. 2021. When Individual Rights Collide: Know How to Prepare, Respond. Campus Legal Advisor. 21, no. 11:1-6. Available online: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/cala.40548 (accessed on 1 November 2021).
- Riccardi-Swartz, Sarah. n.d. American Conversions to Russian Orthodoxy Amid the Global Culture Wars. Berkley Forum. Available online: https://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu/responses/american-conversions-to-russian-orthodoxy-amid-the-global-culture-wars (accessed on 3 July 2021).
- Sefaria. n.d. Isaiah 2:2. Sefaria. Available online: https://www.sefaria.org/Isaiah.2.2 (accessed on 5 July 2021).
- Sharlet, Jeff. 2008. The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power. New York: Harper. [Google Scholar]
- Sixsmith, Ben. 2019. What the Heck Is a ‘Groyper’? Crisis Magazine. November 19. Available online: https://www.crisismagazine.com/2019/what-the-heck-is-a-groyper (accessed on 3 July 2021).
- Southern Poverty Law Center. n.d.(a) Matthew Heimbach. Available online: https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/individual/matthew-heimbach (accessed on 4 July 2021).
- Southern Poverty Law Center. n.d.(b) Traditionalist Worker Party. Available online: https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/traditionalist-worker-party (accessed on 4 July 2021).
- Staats, Cheryl. 2016. Understanding implicit bias: What educators should know. American Educator 39: 29. [Google Scholar]
- Stewart, Katherine. 2018. A Christian Nationalist Blitz. The New York Times. May 26. Available online: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/26/opinion/project-blitz-christian-nationalists.html (accessed on 3 July 2021).
- Stewart, Katherine. 2020a. The Power Worshippers: Inside the Dangerous Rise of Religious Nationalism. New York: Bloomsbury Publishing. [Google Scholar]
- Stewart, Katherine. 2020b. Trump or No Trump, Religious Authoritarianism Is Here to Stay. The New York Times. November 16. Available online: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/16/opinion/trump-religion-authoritarianism.html (accessed on 4 July 2021).
- Strenski, Ivan. 2019. The Theology That Inspired the Poway Synagogue Shooting (and New Zealand) Remains Strikingly Commonplace. Religion Dispatches. May 9. Available online: https://religiondispatches.org/the-theology-that-inspired-the-poway-synagogue-shooting-and-new-zealand-remains-strikingly-commonplace/ (accessed on 4 July 2021).
- Stroop, Chrissy. 2021a. Where Were They Radicalized? No Answer Is Complete without Addressing Evangelical. Available online: https://religiondispatches.org/where-were-they-radicalized-no-answer-is-complete-without-addressing-evangelical-churches-and-schooling/ (accessed on 3 July 2021).
- Stroop, Chrissy. 2021b. Don’t Discount Evangelicalism as a Factor in Racist Murder of Asian Spa Workers in Georgia. Religion Dispatches. March 17. Available online: https://religiondispatches.org/dont-discount-evangelicalism-as-a-factor-in-racist-murder-of-asian-spa-workers-in-georgia/ (accessed on 3 July 2021).
- Tree of Life Massacre Has Roots in Religious Hatred. n.d. Available online: https://hds.harvard.edu/news/2018/10/30/tree-of-life-roots (accessed on 4 July 2021).
- Whitehead, Andrew L., and Samuel L. Perry. 2020. Taking America Back for God: Christian Nationalism in the United States. New York: Oxford University Press. [Google Scholar]
- Zauzmer, Julie. 2019. The Alleged Synagogue Shooter Was a Churchgoer Who Talked Christian Theology, Raising Tough Questions for Evangelical Pastors. Washington Post. May 1. Available online: https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2019/05/01/alleged-synagogue-shooter-was-churchgoer-who-articulated-christian-theology-prompting-tough-questions-evangelical-pastors/ (accessed on 4 July 2021).
Publisher’s Note: MDPI stays neutral with regard to jurisdictional claims in published maps and institutional affiliations.
© 2021 by the authors. Licensee MDPI, Basel, Switzerland. This article is an open access article distributed under the terms and conditions of the Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Share and Cite
Nguyen, D.H.K.; Price, J.F.; Alwan, D.H. The Influence of Christian Nationalism on U.S. Public Educators’ Speech: Implications from Meriwether vs. Hartop. Laws 2021, 10, 91. https://doi.org/10.3390/laws10040091
Nguyen DHK, Price JF, Alwan DH. The Influence of Christian Nationalism on U.S. Public Educators’ Speech: Implications from Meriwether vs. Hartop. Laws. 2021; 10(4):91. https://doi.org/10.3390/laws10040091Chicago/Turabian Style
Nguyen, David Hoa Khoa, Jeremy F. Price, and Duaa H. Alwan. 2021. "The Influence of Christian Nationalism on U.S. Public Educators’ Speech: Implications from Meriwether vs. Hartop" Laws 10, no. 4: 91. https://doi.org/10.3390/laws10040091