Special Issue "Water-Energy-Food Nexus in Large Asian River Basins"
A special issue of Water (ISSN 2073-4441).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 May 2015).
A printed edition of this Special Issue is available here.
The connections between water, food and energy are currently being discussed more than ever before, thanks to the recently emerged concept of water-energy-food security nexus (e.g., Bonn 2011 Conference 2011; Hoff 2011; Waughray 2011; WEF 2011; Bazilian et al. 2011; Bach et al. 2012; European Union 2012; Granit et al. 2013; UNESCAP 2013; Allouche et al. 2014) [1–10]. Various organizations and authors have defined and addressed the concept from their own view points: nexus is, indeed in the air.
This Special Issue looks at the water-energy-food security nexus in the context of large Asian river basins, with a focus on transboundary rivers shared by several countries. The aim is to analyze what benefits the nexus approach could bring into these kinds of, often quite demanding, settings.
The thematic areas to be covered can thus include: water resources management; energy planning and policies with an emphasis on hydropower and biofuel production; and food production systems, including fisheries, irrigation and cropland management. Due to its focus on transboundary contexts, the special issue also emphasizes the geopolitical, international cooperation and security aspects related to the nexus.
The articles of the Special Issue may include case studies from relevant transboundary river basins, comparative analysis in several large Asian river basins, studies of institutional and policy mechanisms related to ‘nexus sectors’ as well as more theoretical discussions of the water-energy-food security nexus and its linkages to other framings and approaches, such as IWRM and sustainable development.
Dr. Marko Keskinen
Dr. Shokhrukh Jalilov
Prof. Dr. Olli Varis
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Water is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1600 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Allouche, J.; Middleton, C.; Gyawali, D. Water and the Nexus, Nexus Nirvana or Nexus Nullity? A Dynamic Approach to Security and Sustainability in the Water-Energy-Food Nexus, STEPS Center. 2014. Available online: http://steps-centre.org/wp-content/uploads/Water-and-the-Nexus.pdf (accessed on 29 September 2014)
- Bach, H.; Bird, J.; Clausen, T.J.; Jensen, K.M.; Lange, R.B.; Taylor, R.; Viriyasakultorn, V.; Wolf, A. et al. Transboundary River Basin Management: Addressing Water, Energy and Food Security. Mekong River Commission MRC. 2012. Available online: http://www.mrcmekong.org/assets/Uploads/M2R-report-address-water-energy-food-security.pdf (accessed on 29 September 2014)
- Bazilian, M.; Rognerb, H.; Howellsc, M.; Hermannc, S.; Arentd, D.; Gielene, D.; Stedutof, P.; Muellerf, A.; Komorg, P.; Tolh, R.S.J.; et al. Considering the energy, water and food nexus: Towards an integrated modelling approach. Energy Policy 2011, 39, 7896–7906.
- Policy Recommendations. In proceedings of Bonn2011 Conference the Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus—Solutions for a Green Economy, Bonn, Germany, 16–18 November 2011.
- European Union. Confronting scarcity: Managing water, energy and land for inclusive and sustainable growth; European Report on Development 2012.
- Granit, J.; Fogde, M.; Hoff, H.; Joyce, J.; Karlberg, L.; Kuylenstierna, J.; Rosemarin, A. Unpacking the Water-Energy-Food Nexus: Tools for Assessment and Cooperation along a Continuum. In Cooperation for a Water Wise World—Partnerships for Sustainable Development; Report Nr. 32; Stockholm International Water Institute: Stockholm, Sweden, 2013, pp. 45–50.
- Hoff, H. Understanding the Nexus; Background Paper for the Bonn2011 Conference: The Water, Energy and Food Security Nexus. Stockholm Environment Institute: Stockholm, Sweden, 2011.
- UNESCAP. The Status of the Water-Food-Energy Nexus in Asia and the Pacific; United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (UNESCAP): Bangkok, Thailand, 2013.
- Waughray, D., Ed. Water Security: The Water-Food-Energy Climate Nexus; The World Economic Forum Water Initiative, Island Press: Washington, DC, USA, 2011.
- World Economic Forum. Global Risks 2011, Sixth Edition: An Initiative of the Risk Response Network; World Economic Forum: Cologny/Geneva, Switzerland, 2011.
- water-energy-food security nexus
- transboundary river basins
- natural resources management
- integrated approaches