Special Issue "Rural Sustainable Environmental Management"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (31 October 2019).
Interests: solid waste composting and digestion; waste utilization and resource recovery; advanced physiochemical and biological treatment; contaminant transport in multiphase; environmental risk assessment and management; synchrotron-assisted environmental process analysis; surface water and groundwater quality; environmental sustainability
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Special Issue in Sustainability: Rural Sustainable Environmental Management II
Rural environmental protection has received increasing attention in recent years. The economic development and population growth of rural areas results in many problems such as environmental pollution, land degradation, resource depletion, biodiversity loss, income loss, and public health risks. These issues are particularly poignant in villages and remote regions of developing countries. The rural areas often lack required resources to take needed action. In areas with low population densities and dispersed households, many management strategies associated with centralized and urban regions are unsuitable for implementation. The development of the rural economy and the protection of the environment need to be well balanced with both short- and the long-term views. Of interest for rural areas are strategies that can be environmentally, socially, and economically sustainable. Although much progress has been made, many major challenges to rural environmental management remain to be addressed. How to deal with these problems through sustainable approaches has become an urgent issue in rural areas.
This Special Issue will be dedicated to the perception of rural, sustainable environmental management based on the integration of economic, environmental, and social considerations. It aims to provide a summary of novel developments that can improve the awareness of and provide solutions to these environmental issues. This Special Issue calls for original research and partial and full reviews, including perspectives on the field of the current standing of rural environmental management. Topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Sustainable rural water resources management
- Rural water and wastewater treatment
- Rural environmental risk assessment and vulnerability analysis
- Rural solid waste disposal and management
- The reduction of nitrogen and phosphorus loss from agricultural activities
- Environmental best management practices for rural areas
- Adaptation to climate change and the reduction of greenhouse gas emission in rural areas
- Environmental statistics and multi-criteria decision analysis in rural environmental management
- Rural environmental policy analysis
- Rural ecosystem protection and biodiversity recovery
- Computer graphics, GIS, and expert systems for supporting rural environmental decision making
- Optimization and control of rural pollution mitigation processes
- Agricultural resource utilization
- Rural land management and planning
- Monitoring and analytical techniques of rural environmental quality
- Methods and applications of data mining and artificial intelligence to rural environmental studies
- Methods and applications related to the integrated simulation, optimization, and management of rural resources, environmental and/or ecological systems
- The characterization of emerging rural environmental problems and related solutions
Dr. Chunjiang An
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sustainability is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- rural environmental risk assessment and vulnerability analysis
- rural environmental policy analysis
- rural ecosystem protection and biodiversity recovery
- agricultural resource utilization
- adaptation to climate change and reduction of greenhouse gas emission in rural areas