Special Issue "Towards More Sustainable Food Systems"
A special issue of International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (ISSN 1660-4601).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (15 October 2019).
Interests: biological process engineering; anaerobic digestion (biogas); organic resources; food waste; circular economy; solid waste management; environmental engineering; environmental sustainability
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Special Issue in Processes: New Frontiers in Anaerobic Digestion (AD) Processes
Sustainable food systems which integrate environmental, economic, and social aspects in a holistic way are a key challenge for all future development. How can the value chain of food production, processing, distribution, consumption, and waste management become more sustainable? This Special Issue will identify promising pathways and discuss challenges that need to be addressed with priority. Topics of interest include:
- technological progress in food production and processing
- effective policies and implementation of advanced coordination instruments
- chances and risks linked to modern agricultural practices
- traditions and specific cultural practices around food production and consumption
- nutritional and health aspects
- interactions between natural environment and food supply, especially considering the impacts of food systems on ecosystem health
- impact of environmental change on food security and on the characteristics of food supply chains
- the food–water–energy nexus
- food and livelihoods, with a focus on the risks derived from globalisation, economic crisis, disasters, and climate change
- reduction of food loss and management of food waste.
Dr. Sigrid Kusch-Brandt
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2300 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Food security
- Food supply chains
- Sustainable agriculture
- Vulnerability of food systems
- Unhealthy food systems
- Global environmental change
- Water-energy-food nexus
- Food waste and loss