Special Issue "Underwater Communication and Networking Systems"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (15 June 2021).
Interests: Mobile communication; Underwater communication; Molecular communication
Interests: Wireless Sensor Networks; Ad-Hoc and Mobile Networks; Underwater Networks; Networking Protocol Design; Cross-layer Optimization; Modeling, Implementation and Experimentation; Proto-type, Testbed and Platform Design; Localization and Synchronization; Autonomous Underwater Vehicle; Cyber-Physical System; Computer Architecture; Embedded System; Operating System
The ocean is the heart of the planet, as it affects the planet’s climate on a global scale and provides countless resources and benefits to all of the creatures that live on Earth. The technology of underwater communications and networking can greatly enhance human’s ability to study, monitor, explore, and protect the planet’s precious aquatic environment. However, the unique characteristics under the surface of the sea present grand challenges to the development of wireless communication and networking systems, including a harsh environment, severe attenuation, multipath dispersion, Doppler shift, mobility, link and topology dynamics, and so on. In recent years, significant efforts have been made by both academia and industry to tackle these challenges. These research and development endeavors are promising novel and efficient solutions towards a better-connected underwater world.
In this Special Issue, we would like to invite domain experts to share the recent progress and original work in the research and implementation of underwater wireless communication and networking systems. The topics of interests include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Underwater wireless signals: acoustics, optics, magnetic induction, electromagnetic wave, and so on;
- Underwater channel modeling, estimation, and characterization;
- Underwater communication physical layer solutions: synchronization, signal processing, modulation, transceiver and modem designs, link budget, and so on;
- Underwater networking solutions: medium access control, routing/forwarding, reliable data transfer, congestion control, security, self-organized networking, and so on;
- Underwater network and system architecture design: proto-type, testbed, and platform;
- Underwater communication traffic engineering: traffic modeling, packet/circuit call management, quality of service (QoS), and so on;
- Underwater communication supported by emerging IT technologies such as IoT, machine learning, cloud computing, big data, and so on;
- Underwater cellular communication: channel allocation, handoff, signaling procedure, mobility management, and so on;
- Underwater robotics: navigation, tracking, localization, power, communication, and networking;
- Demonstration of experiment results: field trial, measurement, and case study;
- Applications of underwater communication and networking systems: aquaculture, environment data collection, archeology, search and rescue, video/image streaming, AUV/UUV management, remote monitoring and control, human operator interaction, disaster detection and early warning, and so on.
Prof. Dr. Ho-Shin Cho
Dr. Zheng Peng
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Electronics is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.