Special Issue "Polymer Optical Fibre"
A special issue of Photonics (ISSN 2304-6732).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (1 April 2020).
Interests: optical fiber communications, microwave photonics, optical networks, visible light communications, polymer optical fibers
Interests: optics and optical fibers; sensing; optoelectronics
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Special Issue in Sensors: Fiber Optic Sensors With Plasmonic Nanostructures and Gratings: Applications and New Perspectives
Special Issue in Telecom: Artificial Intelligence-Based Technologies for Telecom and Sensing Systems
Special Issue in Photonics: Optical Fiber Grating Sensing Technology and Application
Special Issue in Sensors: Materials and Applications for Miniature Fiber-Optic Sensors
Polymer optical fibers (POF) have been proved during the last years as very attractive fibers due to large sensitivity to external environment, biocompatibility and easy handling amongst other advantages. Short distance telecommunications and sensing have been identified as fields with an increasing number of potential applications.
Local area networks and interconnection based on polymer optical fibers have been demonstrated with successful data rates whereas further work on new materials and components is identified as a promising field for increasing the scope of these fibers. Moreover, sensors based on polymer optical fiber technology have been proposed a long time ago, nonetheless, they are currently under dynamic and fruitful fundamental and applied research with upcoming new applications and developments. In this context, polymer optical fiber technology is a growing research and application area at the intersection of health and general engineering.
The purpose of this Special Issue is to collect advances in fundamental research, development of technologies, as well as innovative applications of polymer optical fibers for communications and sensing.
It is our pleasure to invite you to submit original research papers, short communications or state-of-the-art reviews within the scope of this Special Issue. Contributions can range from fundamental properties of polymer fibers, their fabrication and characterization, as well as innovations in processing technologies for the development of applications.
Topics include, but not limited, theoretical and experimental original work on the following:
- New polymer fibers: materials and special structures (photonic crystal fibers, S-, U- D-type, etc)
- Polymer optical fiber networks: indoor, in-vehicles, etc.
- Multiformat signal transmission over polymer fibers
- POF transceivers
- Multiplexing/Demultiplexing techniques in POF networks
- Physical, chemical, mechanical, electromagnetic, biological and medical sensors
- Sensors based on colorimetry, evanescent wave and infrared spectroscopies
- Plasmonic based sensors
- Interferometers and polarimetric configurations (as FP cavities, MMI, Michelson, Mach-Zehnder, Sagnac, among others)
- Micro and nano fabrication, smart structures and sensors including: gratings (FBG, LPFG), tapers, etched configurations
- Functionalization methods and thin films coatings (Including metals, oxides and graphene)
- Sensor networking and distributed sensing
- New concepts for photonic sensing
- Applications including, but not limited to: aquaculture, mechanical, civil, pharmaceutical, oil and gas industries, human and animal health monitoring, environment monitoring, harsh environments, food processing and monitoring, medical instrumentation.
Prof. Beatriz Ortega
Dr. Carlos Marques
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Photonics is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1600 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- polymer fibers
- microstructured fibers
- POF sensors
- POF networks
- POF components