Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Optical Diagnostics in Engineering"
A special issue of Optics (ISSN 2673-3269).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 29 February 2020.
Interests: optical diagnostics; laser/particle based measurement techniques; fluid mechanics; thermo-fluids; thermal energy systems;
Interests: optical measurements; flow modeling, centrifugal filtration and separation; electrokinetic driven flows; biomedical flows; uncertainty analysis; image processing
Advances in a wide range of optical technologies has minimized the requirements for development of platforms and the cost associated for optical diagnostics. Combined with the growth in algorithms and imaging devices, multidimensional and high spatial and temporal resolution measurements are now possible. These factors have attracted researchers to implement optical diagnostics as a main tool in their research across a wide range of engineering areas. This includes not only those using a laser but any kind of diagnostics that is involves in an optical measurement.
This special issue “Optical Diagnostics in Engineering” is focused on unique and novel implementations of optical diagnostics to perform measurements in challenging engineering applications rather than just the application of the equipment to address a technical problem. We encourage you to submit high quality works that discuss the design and development of innovative optical measurement systems, experimental systems that incorporate optical diagnostics into their design, measurement procedures or diagnostics algorithms, data processing and analyzing methods that relate to engineering. The submission could discuss in lab setups and facilities but also installations and applications of optical diagnostics in remote or off-site locations. The motivation is to promote understanding related to improving optical methodologies used in optical measurements by documenting and passing on the nuances of your optical system design and experimental setup. The special issue also provides room for discussing the results of novel investigations.
If your techniques and facilities you have developed fit this area, the new open access journal Optics, is now accepting submissions for the special issue on “Optical Diagnostics in Engineering”. The Editorial Board would like to encourage you to submit your 10-12 page articles to this journal.
This Special Issue invites contributions in the following topics (but is not limited to them):
- Design / development / optimization of an optical measurement setup
- Design / development / optimization of an experimental system that incorporates optics
- Application of an optical system to measure multiple parameters in a single setup
- Innovative solutions for calibration of optical devices
- Real time measurement challenges and data analysis
- Tuning the optical devices and optical noise detection/removing and optimization of illumination source
- Novel methodologies in uncertainty analysis of the optical diagnostics techniques
- Techniques for scaling up/down of the optical test rigs and equipment (nano to macro scales)
- Multidisciplinary methodologies to improve optical measurements, analysis and interpretation
Example techniques could include:
- Particle image velocimetry (PIV)
- Particle tracking velocimetry (PTV)
- Planar laser-induced fluorescence (PLIF)
- Positron-emission tomography (PET)
- Particle size distribution (PSD)
- Digital image correlation (DIC)
- Computed tomography (CT)
Prof. Dr. David S. Nobes
Dr. Reza Sabbagh
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Optics is an international peer-reviewed open access quarterly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Optical measurement system design
- Experiment design for incorporation of optics
- Setup and calibration procedures
- Data evaluation
- Optical procedures and processing algorithms
- Optics in multidisciplinary applications