Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Electron and Radical Induced Chemistry with Radiobiological Applications"
A special issue of International Journal of Molecular Sciences (ISSN 1422-0067). This special issue belongs to the section "Physical Chemistry and Chemical Physics".
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (30 September 2022) | Viewed by 4188
Special Issue Editor
2. Centre for Medical Radiation Physics, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW, Australia
Interests: electron; positron and ion collisions; radiation damage; molecular biophysics
Special Issue Information
New biomedical applications of radiation based on charged particle beam interactions, both for therapy (proton therapy, heavy ion-beam radiation therapy, intraoperational electron beam therapies) and diagnostics (Positron Emission Tomography) require specific studies on their radiobiological effects. In such applications, secondary species (very low-energy secondary electrons and reactive radicals) determine these effects through chemical reactions induced to the sensitive molecules that constitute the medium.
The scope of this Special Issue (in terms of theory, experiments and simulations) includes:
- Primary proton and ion beam interactions in biologically relevant media around the Bragg Peak.
- Chemical reactions induced by low-energy electrons and positrons to biomolecular systems both in the gas and condensed phases.
- Radical generation and subsequent interactions with molecular-sensitive molecules (DNA, RNA constituents and analogue molecules).
- Evaluation and characterization of molecular radiosensitizers and their role in specific treatments.
- Living cell radiobiological studies and comparison with predicted models.
Due to your expertise in the field, we are pleased to invite you to contribute to this Special Issue on Electron and Radical Induced Chemistry with Radiobiological Applications.
Prof. Dr. Gustavo Garcia
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. International Journal of Molecular Sciences is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. There is an Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal. For details about the APC please see here. Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- ion beam interaction with biomoles
- low energy electrons and positron interactions
- reactive species
- modelling particle transport
- molecular radiosensitizers
- molecular-damaging reactions
- ion beam radiotherapy
- intraoperational electron beam therapy
- radiobiological studies