Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Geospatial Artificial Intelligence"
A special issue of ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information (ISSN 2220-9964).
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 31 August 2020.
Interests: geographic information sciences; volunteered geographical information
Interests: geographic text analysis; geographic information sciences; applied data science and machine learning
Special Issues and Collections in MDPI journals
Over the last few years, Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Deep Learning methods in particular, had a transformative impact in fields such as natural language processing or computer vision, significantly advancing the state-of-the-art in problems like parsing natural language, classifying unstructured data, or semantically segmenting contents. These same techniques can also empower a next generation of Geographical Information Systems (GISs), providing the ability to combine spatial analysis with fast and near human-level perception, this way facilitating location-based discovery and analysis of relevant information.
Several recent studies have for instance shown that AI techniques can be used in a variety of geospatial applications, with examples in remote sensing for Earth observation (e.g., segmenting, classifying, downscaling, or fusing ground-level or aerial/satellite imagery), spatial data analysis (e.g., interpolation of geospatial data with generative adversarial networks), or geographical text analysis (e.g., address geo-coding or geo-referencing place references in documents), among many others (e.g., processing historical maps, gazetteer conflation, etc.).
Many of aforementioned applications can already highlight important challenges in AI for processing geospatial data, including small sample sizes to inform supervised learning, relative to the complexity of the problems, the lack of ground truth information, or the high degree of noise and uncertainty. Despite many successful applications, overcoming the aforementioned challenges requires additional developments, so that AI techniques can be more widely and easily applicable to a broader range of geospatial applications.
For this ISPRS IJGI special issue on geoAI, we invite the community of professionals and researchers, interested in AI for geospatial applications and in the intersection of GIScience and AI, to submit their work.
Prof. Jacinto Estima
Prof. Bruno Martins
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- AI for Spatial Data Analysis: Geospatial Interpolation
- Regression and Classification
- Data Generalization and Downscaling
- Simulation and Modeling
- AI for Volunteered Geographical Information: Analysis of User-Generated Data (e.g., GPS Trajectories, Social Media Posts, etc.) Automated Content Geocoding
- Combining User-Generated and Automatically Inferred Data
- Handling Spatial Heterogeneity, Data Completeness and Varying Data Quality
- AI for Earth Observation Applications: Semantic and Instance Segmentation of Aerial/Satellite imagery
- Fusion of Multiple Imagery or Remote Sensing Products
- Analysis of (Multi-Spectral) Image Time-Series
- Proximate-Sensing and Analysis of Ground-Level Photos
- Analysis of LIDAR data
- AI for Geographical Text Analysis: Text Geo-Parsing
- Remote Sensing Image Captioning
- Geospatial Semantics in Natural Language
- Geographic Information Retrieval
- Other Techniques and Application Areas
- Conflation of Geospatial Databases
- Processing Historical Map Images
- Recommendation and Location-Based Services
- Applied Spatial Analysis (e.g., Health Geographics, Urban Analytics, Precision Agriculture, etc.)