Special Issue "High-Capacity Cells and Batteries for Electric Vehicles"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (28 May 2021) | Viewed by 9856
2. Energy Systems Analytics Group, Catalonia Institute for Energy Research (IREC), 08930 Sant Adrià de Besòs, Spain
Interests: battery aging; electric vehicles; end of life of electric vehicles; second life of batteries; battery reuse; battery remanufacture
Interests: energy efficiency; energy districts; modelling; indoor air quality; thermal comfort in buildings; life cycle assessment
Special Issues, Collections and Topics in MDPI journals
Interests: cell & battery testing, research and validation; second life applications; end of life; electric vehicles; e-mobility
If you are working in the field of electric vehicles, batteries, or energy storage applications, this might be of interest to you. This is a formal invitation to participate in the Special Issue of Energies on “High-Capacity Cells and Batteries for Electric Vehicles”.
Due to their overall performance, lithium-ion batteries currently dominate the electric vehicle market. Each year, car manufacturers launch new models, increasing the average capacity of electric vehicle batteries. This is achieved, in part, through making bigger batteries that imply an increase in the vehicle cost, weight, and use of more critical raw materials. Although prices are lowering, Li-ion batteries do not have enough energy density to substantially decrease the weight of vehicles; thus, using high-energy cells is an intriguing possibility that we are being called on to explore.
This Special Issue aims to evaluate several issues concerning high-capacity batteries, and papers are welcome if they analyze one or more of these topics or respond to these questions:
- Upcoming battery technologies: analyzing their relevant benefits but also presenting their shortage or less performant issues;
- From cell tests to battery;
- New packaging strategies and configurations;
- Weight versus consumption and overall performance of electric vehicles;
- The role of battery management systems in maximizing the capacity of batteries;
- Safety-security of cell's technologies;
- Ageing and lifespan analysis. Higher capacity means fewer cycles and, thus, longer lifespan in real applications;
- End of life;
- Beyond the electric vehicle:
- Circular economy strategies and battery second life;
- Environmental impact;
- Avoiding the use of critical and/or toxic materials;
- When will capacities stop increasing?
- The charge of high capacity electric vehicle batteries;
- Reviews and comparatives of technologies.
Prof. Dr. Lluc Canals Casals
Prof. Dr. Marcel Macarulla Martí
Dr. Alberto Gómez Núñez
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All submissions that pass pre-check are peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Energies is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2200 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- High-capacity batteries
- Electric vehicles
- End of life
- State of health
- Raw materials
- Cobalt free
- Beyond lithium
- Battery packaging