Special Issue "Cancer Stem Cells (CSC)"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: closed (1 February 2021).
Interests: cancer metastasis; cancer stem cells; therapy resistance; molecular mechanisms; cancer microenvironment
Cancer stem cells (CSCs) are considered the root of primary and acquired therapy resistances associated with disease progression and poor clinical outcomes in cancer patients. Therefore, an elucidation of the key molecular mechanisms regulating CSC activities could help with the development of novel biomarkers and therapeutic targets to predict or combat the most aggressive malignant tumors in patients. The following aspects of the subject area will be highlighted in this Special Issue:
- signalling pathways contributing to the treatment resistance and disease progression;
- the role of CSCs in treatment failure;
- molecular mechanisms associated with CSC aggressiveness and increased metastatic potential;
- CSC metabolism;
- circadian rhythms in CSCs and metronomic chemotherapy;
- crosstalk between CSCs and microenvironmental factors (tumor stroma, immune system);
- biological, biochemical, and pathological methods allowing CSC identification within the malignant tumors;
- pediatric tumors and CSCs;
- epigenetic factors in CSC formation;
- glioblastoma stem cells;
- development of novel biomarkers and therapeutic targets to predict and overcome therapy resistance associated with CSC activities;
- novel therapeutic approaches to combat locally advanced, metastatic, or relapsed malignant diseases;
- chemical agents against CSCs;
- translational oncology: how to make bridge between basic researchers and clinicians
Prof. Dr. Ira-Ida Skvortsova
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Cells is an international peer-reviewed open access monthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 2000 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.