Next Article in Journal
Turbulent Flow Heat Transfer through a Circular Tube with Novel Hybrid Grooved Tape Inserts: Thermohydraulic Analysis and Prediction by Applying Machine Learning Model
Next Article in Special Issue
Which Residential Clusters of Walkability Affect Future Population from the Perspective of Real Estate Prices in the Osaka Metropolitan Area?
Previous Article in Journal
A Global PSS Framework for Sustainable B2B Partnership
 
 
Article

Levels and Characteristics of Utilitarian Walking in the Central Areas of the Cities of Bologna and Porto

1
CTAC (Centre for Territory, Environment and Construction), University of Minho, 4800-058 Guimarães, Portugal
2
Department of Architecture, University of Bologna, 40138 Bologna, Italy
3
E.U.C. Research Centre, European University Cyprus, Nicosia 2404, Cyprus
*
Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Academic Editor: Gabriella Mazzulla
Sustainability 2021, 13(6), 3064; https://doi.org/10.3390/su13063064
Received: 3 February 2021 / Revised: 5 March 2021 / Accepted: 9 March 2021 / Published: 11 March 2021
Walking is a mode of transport that offers many environmental and health benefits. Utilitarian walking refers to walking trips undertaken to fulfil routine purposes. The aim of this paper is to examine the extent to which walking is used as a transport mode for short urban trips in the city centers of Bologna and Porto and the barriers preventing utilitarian walking. Based on a questionnaire (n = 1117) administered in the two cities, results indicated that 21% of the individuals travel by foot, while 47% combine walking with other modes. This means that 68% of the daily trips to these city centers involve walking activity. From the overall trips, 84% were made to reach work and school/university. Statistical tests showed that utilitarian walkers were more likely to be females (p < 0.001) and undergraduates (p < 0.001). People from Bologna were more likely to engage in utilitarian walking than people from Porto (p < 0.001). Travel distance and time were the main barriers preventing people from engaging in utilitarian walking. The findings described in this paper provide a better understanding of utilitarian walking in the central areas of both cities, which can guide policies to promote healthier lifestyles and sustainable mobility. View Full-Text
Keywords: utilitarian walking; active mobility; active transport; sustainable mobility; pedestrians utilitarian walking; active mobility; active transport; sustainable mobility; pedestrians
Show Figures

Figure 1

MDPI and ACS Style

Fonseca, F.; Conticelli, E.; Papageorgiou, G.; Ribeiro, P.; Jabbari, M.; Tondelli, S.; Ramos, R. Levels and Characteristics of Utilitarian Walking in the Central Areas of the Cities of Bologna and Porto. Sustainability 2021, 13, 3064. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13063064

AMA Style

Fonseca F, Conticelli E, Papageorgiou G, Ribeiro P, Jabbari M, Tondelli S, Ramos R. Levels and Characteristics of Utilitarian Walking in the Central Areas of the Cities of Bologna and Porto. Sustainability. 2021; 13(6):3064. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13063064

Chicago/Turabian Style

Fonseca, Fernando, Elisa Conticelli, George Papageorgiou, Paulo Ribeiro, Mona Jabbari, Simona Tondelli, and Rui Ramos. 2021. "Levels and Characteristics of Utilitarian Walking in the Central Areas of the Cities of Bologna and Porto" Sustainability 13, no. 6: 3064. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13063064

Find Other Styles
Note that from the first issue of 2016, MDPI journals use article numbers instead of page numbers. See further details here.

Article Access Map by Country/Region

1
Back to TopTop