Journal Menu► ▼ Journal Menu
Journal Browser► ▼ Journal Browser
Special Issue "Education and Sustainable Development"
Deadline for manuscript submissions: 29 February 2020.
Interests: Environment and populations; sustainable development; education; climate change adaptation and mitigation; resilience building; environmental health; communinty health care; empirical methods and statistics.
Paths towards sustainable development are challenged by multiple global issues that threaten populations and ecosystems around the world, calling for inclusive and innovative solutions. This Special Issue addresses the role of education in advancing sustainable development, with a focus on its environmental dimensions and the prevention of climate change. Education can be vital for climate change mitigation and adaptation, helping societies and communities to increase their adaptive capacity and resilience, and altering the ways people perceive and interact with the environment.
Taking into account the myriad of interactions between education and sustainable development, this Special Issue calls for contributions from researchers of diverse backgrounds, including environmental sciences, demography, economics, sociology, psychology, as well as educational science and pedagogy. The aim is to provide the reader with a comprehensive overview of the theoretical and (quantitative and qualitative) empirical literature on the topic and to highlight links between inclusive education and sustainability. Education is broadly understood as any form of organized learning in a formal or informal setting, including school-based learning, community training interventions, and peer learning approaches.
We invite submissions related to one or more of the following core research areas:
- Climate change education, education for sustainability, and climate literacy
- Influence of education on pro-environmental behavior by individuals and households
- The relevant mechanisms explaining the effects of education; the role of education in environmental awareness/consciousness, knowledge, skills, and values
- Abilities to adapt to changing environments; resilience-building; disaster risk reduction
- Support for green policies; support for mitigation actions on a governmental level
- Education, learning, and modern information and communication technologies
- Impacts of education policies and their implications for sustainable development
(examples from the least-developed countries are particularly welcome)
- Forecasting future developments and trends, and implications of future changes
We look forward to receiving your submissions. Should you have any questions about the content of the special issue and the suitability of your research, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Dr. Roman Hoffmann
Ms. Marina Andrijevic
- Lutz, W., Muttarak, R., Striessnig, E. (2014): Universal education is key to enhanced climate adaptation. Science 346 (6213): 1061-1062.
- Hoffmann, R., Muttarak, R: (2017): Learn from the Past, Prepare for the Future: Impacts of Education and Experience on Disaster Preparedness in the Philippines and Thailand. World Development 96: 32-51.
- Sterling, S. (2001): Sustainable Education: Revisioning Learning and Change. Schumacher Briefings.
- Bengtsson, S., Barakat, B., Muttarak, R. (2018): The Role of Education in Enabling the Sustainable Development Agenda. Routledge Studies in Development and Society.
Manuscript Submission Information
Manuscripts should be submitted online at www.mdpi.com by registering and logging in to this website. Once you are registered, click here to go to the submission form. Manuscripts can be submitted until the deadline. All papers will be peer-reviewed. Accepted papers will be published continuously in the journal (as soon as accepted) and will be listed together on the special issue website. Research articles, review articles as well as short communications are invited. For planned papers, a title and short abstract (about 100 words) can be sent to the Editorial Office for announcement on this website.
Submitted manuscripts should not have been published previously, nor be under consideration for publication elsewhere (except conference proceedings papers). All manuscripts are thoroughly refereed through a single-blind peer-review process. A guide for authors and other relevant information for submission of manuscripts is available on the Instructions for Authors page. Sustainability is an international peer-reviewed open access semimonthly journal published by MDPI.
Please visit the Instructions for Authors page before submitting a manuscript. The Article Processing Charge (APC) for publication in this open access journal is 1800 CHF (Swiss Francs). Submitted papers should be well formatted and use good English. Authors may use MDPI's English editing service prior to publication or during author revisions.
- Sustainable development
- Environmental behavior
- Climate change mitigation
- Climate change adaptation
- Disaster risk reduction
- Environmental awareness
- Environmental knowledge
- Education policies